Chapter 7: Paris

It was dawn at first light

It was dawn at first light. For the past eight days, Amirah had sailed with Bjorn and Ragnar. Despite the cold nights, for the past eight days, sailing: was something Amirah enjoyed. After all, her first time sailing wasn't the best. Though she thought she would die from sea sickness the first time, she eventually overcame it.

Amirah stood at the front of the ship, admiring the city in the distance. Paris was surrounded by a large wall that covered and protected the city living within it. Tall watchtowers stood high above the ground, keeping a watchful eye on the distant lands. Amirah knew it was going: to take a lot of work to break into Paris, especially: when it acted like a vault for robbers.

Loud pangs broke the silence in the air: as if church bells were ringing. Amirah's attention flickered toward the wall. Archers readied their crossbows as alarms were sounded, alerting the French -- at least three-thousand men were knocking at Paris' door.

While Amirah and two-thousand men readied their attack on water, Lagertha and another thousand men took to the land and prepared their strike at the front gate. Screams and cries sounded in the air: as the remaining farmers hurried inside the city gate before it closed.

If it wasn't for Floki: The Boat Maker, and his genius idea to mock the Parisians by making wooden towers of his own, all hope would've been lost to scale the walls. 

Slowly, one by one, each ship pulled several towers toward the wall, knocking against it and ringing the bells of each Parisian who stood; guard above the wall. Wooden beams were placed on the base of the rafts carrying the towers, creating a small walkway for the warriors.

Each warrior roared with a battle cry, raising their axes and rushing into the midst of battle. After several men had run down the planks in line, Amirah watched: several warriors get struck by arrows.

Amirah gathered up as much courage as she could and charged into the midst of battle. The young woman charged forward: using her long legs to jump over the side of the boat and into the water below. Adrenalin continued to pump through her veins as she hiked through the water to reach the rafts that held the towers. 

She weaved her body left and right, ducking every so: often and raising her shield above her head. Soft pattering sounds were heard above Amirah. Amirah redrew her barrier and widened her eyes when she saw several arrows penetrate her shield.

Bjorn ran toward one of the towers and encouraged several other warriors to start: climbing. Arrow after arrow, the line of French soldiers above targeted each warrior before pulling back the drawstring and reloading their crossbows: once more.

Taking a moment to examine the base of the wall, Amirah slowly ran her eyes up and down the wall, noticing how tall it was. It had to be at least 40 ft tall.

Floki ran toward a cowardly warrior and placed his hands on; the sides of his face before speaking in his Norse tongue.

"What are you doing?" he questioned before continuing.