VIII - The Manager's Office

Cruella slowly stepped into the manager's office. Maureen was seated behind a large wooden desk with a jade-green cloth draped over it. The shelves lining the room and the desk itself were covered in awards and accolades, praising her successes. Maureen glanced up from her paperwork and gestured to the seat opposite the desk, before quickly returning to her paperwork. Maureen held a cigarette to her lips and slowly exhaled the smoke again. The interaction was so intimidatingly quiet. Cruella tentatively approached the chair and sat down, as Maureen silently rose from her own chair. She stepped to the side of the desk silently before finally talking with her back to Cruella, as if it would disgrace her to look at her employees.

"Now, as we know," Maureen explained, "your employment with us began on the twenty-eighth of September, which means your ninety-day probationary period ends tomorrow, the twenty-seventh of December. I have decided not to continue with your employment any further. As the manager, I have made the decision that your services are no longer needed at Elliott Boutique."

The room once again fell silent. What Maureen had said did not make sense to Cruella. It was so jarringly forthright. Hearing her words made Cruella's chest tighten in a confused blend of panic and rage.

"I don't understand," Cruella responded calmly. "I'm one of the best creative visionaries here. Everybody sees that."

"Perhaps," Maureen admitted, "but, in honesty, I only ever needed you as a Christmas temp rather than a long-term employee. An extra pair of hands for the season. And you were sufficient. Not exemplary as you seem to think, but... sufficient. You got the job done. And now I am letting you go." Maureen turned towards Cruella, looking down at her distastefully. Cruella thought she saw her smile slightly – was she enjoying this?

"Frankly, you should never have gotten attached to this job." Maureen continued. "I mean, you must have known at some stage that you were not right for the position. Anyway, I should expect your belongings in my office. Your key, as well. I would rather not repeat the situation with my last Christmas hire. So, let's say you drop them here after your shift tomorrow?"

Suddenly, Cruella felt as though she was no longer to restrain herself. She felt used and manipulated. Maureen wielded her power above Cruella sadistically and expected her to submit to it. But Cruella would submit no more. Destroying her self-worth was one thing, and she was in no position to control that decision, but asking her to humiliate herself by returning to the store to resign was an unacceptable suggestion. Her skin burned with fury as she stood from her chair. Maureen looked surprised, and Cruella could tell that she was not used to being defied.

"Maureen, you can't seriously think I'll be coming in tomorrow," Cruella glared at Maureen with detest.

"Your contract entitles you to be notified of your termination before the end of your probation," Maureen argued, "Tomorrow would be your last day. Or, of course, payment in lieu thereof."

"Well, in that case, I will come in for my check and no more," Cruella retorted, spitting every consonant in rage. The two women were finally showing their true colours, and Cruella revelled in her new anger.

"I would prefer you to work that day."

"Oh, your preferences are irrelevant now, Maureen," Cruella shouted, losing any semblance of courtesy she once had for her. "You burned that bridge when you made the deliberate effort to deceive me.

"Cruella, that's business!" Maureen declared, refusing to back down. "This was always the plan, and I'm going to follow through." Cruella exhaled slowly. She thought of her father's demands and knew that she would have to choose her next move with caution.

"You're quite sure?" Cruella asked, letting her guard down slightly. Maureen noticed Cruella's momentary return to timidity and showed that callous smile again.

"Positive," she answered. Cruella slammed the palm of her hand on the desk and stared into Maureen's eyes. Maureen recoiled, for Cruella now appeared to be a threat to her.

"Very well. Then you're a fool, Maureen. I've no use for fools. But I warn you: this isn't the last you've seen of Cruella de Vil. You'll come to regret this decision. I'll make it in fashion on my own terms. And then you'll be sorry."

With those as her last words to Maureen, Cruella marched out of the office and through the hallways out into the shop floor. Maureen attempted to stop her, not wanting her to be seen by the customers in her enraged state. Frankly, Cruella did not want to be seen by them either. But she did not care anymore. As Cruella stormed through the store like a typhoon of fury, the customers gasped in shock and frustration. To them, Cruella thought she owned the place. To Cruella, she was not welcome there at all. When she reached the door, she turned around to see Maureen step out onto the floor after her.

"I will have my revenge," she threatened, before turning her back on the store for good.