XIII - Business

Maureen was a vile, vile woman, but she was right about one thing; Cruella had nobody underneath her. All she had were Jasper and Horace, and having two known felons working for her would be a poor reputation should anybody find out. Cruella could not stop thinking about what Maureen had told her. Maureen's career was finished. Cruella had won. And yet, it seemed to Cruella that simply eliminating her was not enough. She was now more determined than ever to usurp Maureen's position and become everything she never was. And Cruella knew exactly the person to help her do so.

"Anita, darling!" Cruella exclaimed as she swung open the front doors out at Hell Hall. Anita wore a plain grey waistcoat with a matching pencil skirt. Cruella rivalled her with a satin off-the-shoulder evening gown in the darkest black, complete with a long white fur shawl that draped across her arms. Her hair was done up high and her face was painted extravagantly, making her cheekbones appear exceptionally sharp. It had been months since Anita had seen her old friend, Cruella, and she was proud of the woman she had become.

Cruella invited Anita in and showed her upstairs to her studio. The furniture in the building was covered in lavish furs. Anita could tell that Cruella had recently come into some money, and she was impressed. Cruella sat down gracefully behind her desk and gestured to the chair opposite her. Anita politely sat down.

"Oh, I have missed you so, Anita," Cruella began. "The kind of fame I have now certainly takes a toll on oneself."

"I suppose it has," Anita agreed. She suddenly felt awfully uneasy. She looked into Cruella's eyes. They seemed unfamiliar to her. There was a calculatedness in them that she did not recognise.

"Are you still employed at that dingy little department store?" Cruella asked.

"Oh, well, I would hardly say that," Anita replied with a gasp. "I actually rather enjoy working there."

Cruella looked at Anita and smiled.

"Would you like anything to drink?" Cruella asked whilst taking a document from her desk.

"Tea would be lovely, thank you."

"Horace!" Cruella suddenly yelled. Anita turned around as a short man hobbled into the studio. "Be a darling and bring our guest some tea, would you?"

"Certainly, ma'am," Horace replied before leaving quickly.

"I take it you have probably seen me in the papers lately," Cruella said, returning her attention to Anita.

"Of course, I have," Anita responded. "You've certainly developed quite the reputation for yourself. I remember you always did have a flair for the extreme."

Cruella chuckled, then suddenly erupted in laughter. She leaned back in her chair and sighed.

"Trust me, darling. I know," she finally replied. "But, no successful designer can work alone."

"Is that what your assistant there is for?" Anita asked, referring to Horace.

"Oh, he's hardly an assistant. He's just a friend that I'm doing a favour for. Now, let's get on with this. If I remember correctly, you have obvious talent, darling, and yet, you are not very well known. One of these days, a competitor is going to find you and steal you away from me."

"I don't know if that's very likely," Anita said, looking down at her feet.

"Still, better safe than sorry, I say. I'll cut to the chase. With the money I have now, I am finally able to hire some designers. And with that money, I knew you were the first person I needed to find. Hard-done-by women like us need to stick together." Cruella placed the document in front of Anita and placed a fountain pen beside it. "What do you say, darling?"

"Cruella, I'm flattered," Anita began with a smile, before trailing off and her smile fading. "But I just don't know how I would make this work. I'd have to think it over."

"What's there to think about?" Cruella asked. "It's a job in a field you're clearly very passionate about with much better pay than you have right now.'

"It just seems like a large commitment. And I potentially have new avenues in life opening up for me."

"Like what?" Cruella asked sharply.

"Well... I've met a man. His name's Roger. He means an awful lot to me. And there's no telling what might come in the future."

"Marriage?" Cruella pressed her for details.

"Perhaps," Anita blushed coyly. She remembered how much Cruella detested marriage, and she remembered how she had agreed with her sentiment. Still, she expected Cruella to be happy for her. Instead, Cruella tossed the contract to the side and stood up sharply.

"Never mind, then," Cruella spat. "I don't need somebody on my team with such a weak constitution."

"Cruella, I'm rather happy about it," Anita pleaded that she would understand.

"I'm disappointed. I thought you were cleverer than this."

"Listen, Cruella. I'm sure we can work some sort of part-time agreement out so that I can still spend time with Roger."

"I don't care about our agreement anymore!" Cruella yelled. "You've betrayed my trust. The deal's off. This is business, Anita. If you want to blemish your success with petty romance, I suggest you get out of my studio."

"Cruella, I..."

"Get out!" Cruella erupted, leaning in close to her face. Anita stepped back in fright. She hurried out of the office, down the stairs, and out the front doors. Cruella watched from the window as Anita made her way into a car outside the building. She saw a man in the driver's seat drive her away.

Roger... she thought.

Cruella huffed down the stairs shortly after. Horace was standing in the centre of the living room with a teapot. Jasper was seated behind him.

"Where did our guest go?" Horace asked.

Cruella snatched the teapot from his arms and furiously tossed it into the fireplace. Jasper and Horace jumped in fear.

"I don't need a single soul to help me achieve my goals," Cruella hissed. "I have ambitions that far exceed Anita's. And I don't need anybody else to fulfil them. I will be twice the woman Maureen ever was, and I will do it on my own. I now see everything so clearly."

Cruella slowly turned to the mirror above the mantle.

"The only person I can trust in this world is myself."