Chap. 4. Alcoholic haze

"You. What." The figure growled, his voice quiet and yet with a layer of anger beneath. 

"B-But I'll get it back! Don't worry! I'll get it back today!" Quackity quickly waved his arms dramatically, trying to calm Roier down.

Roier stopped in his footsteps, making a direct eye contact with Quackity as these chocolate-colored brown eyes stared down deep into Quackity. Just like Wilbur's. Quackity pressed back a shiver at the similarities between the stares.

Was it just the eyes that he found similar or was it the confusing emotion that swam in the eyes? Quackity couldn't tell.

"I'm not really worried about the scarf, you do realize that, right?" The other said, his glance between the line of somewhat pity and worry. "I just...thought you were actually gonna do something about that...unhealthy feeling after our talk yesterday." 

I did try to. But the universe just doesn't seem to want me to cut ties with Wilbur. It was as if our fate was inseparable. Quackity pressed back these words on the back of his tongue as he stayed silent, not knowing how to respond.

 Rather instead, he put his focus on his surrounding, avoiding Roier's gaze. 

The hallway was almost empty. Few people walked past by, their footsteps hurried while others just stood in a group, chatting among themselves with no intention of going to class. Wilbur was one of them.

Quackity pressed back his panic. Fear instinctively rose up like a fog at the sight of the people that once, and still, teased him. Unintentionally, or perhaps due to his survival instincts, he clutched onto the closest thing to him, seeking both shelter and comfort. 

He ended up clutching onto Roier's sleeves. Like a fucking toddler on their first day to pre-K.

And of course one of them saw him.

"Oi! Look at the Ducky hiding behind his boyfriend, isn't this so sweet and cute." Jake grinned, the rest of his companions laughing along. Roier looked away, ignoring, or maybe avoiding the group of boys as he walked faster, exiting the scene as he protectively pulled Quackity away.

Quackity looked back. Finding Cellbit among the group as he kept his eyes on the floor, ignoring, or perhaps avoiding Roier as well.

"Come on, Quackity. Ignore these bitches." Roier urged, his hand on Quackity's arm tightly as the group of boys vanished from his vision.

But that didn't stop the words that slipped into Quackity ears.

"That was a bit too far, don't you think? You didn't have to tease him like that."

He hoped with all his heart that it was Wilbur who said the sentence.

It turned out, unsurprisingly, he was late to his PE class, AGAIN due to the encounter with Wilbur and his group.

Which means he'd have to run, AGAIN after school.

"Hey, Quackity. You can help clean up the materials, right? I gotta run. I have tutor later." One of his classmates—who was supposed to help clean up the PE materials after class, apologized quickly before grabbing his bagpack and walked away, not even waiting for Quackity's response.

Quackity sighed and kicked the grass idly. Now he has to clean all this up all by himself, AND he has to run, AND get the scarf back from Wilbur. Great.

And it definitely did not help when Wilbur appeared out of nowhere after his supposed partner left him.

What a coincidence.