Platero Y Yo

PLATERO Y YO ***

Charles Aldarondo, Keren Vergon, Amy Overmyer and PG Distributed Proofreaders

# indicates bold faced text _ indicates italics faced text

PLATERO Y YO

POR

JUAN RAMÓN JIMÉNEZ

EDITED WITH NOTES, DIRECT-METHOD

EXERCISES, AND VOCABULARY

BY

GERTRUDE M. WALSH

NORTH HIGH SCHOOL, COLUMBUS, OHIO

WITH A CRITICAL INTRODUCTION BY

FEDERICO DE ONÍS

ILLUSTRATED BY

MAUD AND MISKA PETERSHAM

1922

PREFACE

The present edition of _Platero y yo_ contains selections from both the first edition of the original work, published by La Lectura, Madrid, 1914, in its _Biblioteca de Juventud_, and the complete edition, published by Calleja, Madrid, 1917, as one of the volumes of _Obras de Juan Ramón Jiménez_. In the interests of classroom work a few slight changes have been made, but it is hoped that in no case has the simple beauty of the author's style been marred.

In making the selections for use in this edition, the editor has aimed to choose those in which the narrative element predominates, confident that the delicate simplicity and charming philosophy of these idyllic sketches will arouse interest and excite sympathy as does no narrative of the usual sort. With almost no exception, pupils delight in reading animal stories, and who could resist the appealing charm of _Platero y yo_, in which the central figure is a little donkey possessing all the qualities of amiability and camaraderie which Stevenson's mouse-colored Modestine so utterly lacked?

Although the editor believes the material to be eminently suitable for second-year classes, the brevity of the chapters, the simplicity of style, the Notes, which are intended to be thorough and to explain all difficult passages, and the carefully prepared Vocabulary are notable features which should recommend its use with any classes that have an understanding of the fundamental principles of Spanish grammar.

It is intended that the Exercises will afford a means not only of reviewing mere forms but also of distinguishing as to usage between words frequently confused,--a phase of foreign language study that presents difficulties even to students of advanced classes. Especial attention is called to the _Redacción_, a type of exercise that has been found most helpful in stimulating an interest in oral and written résumé. There is much mechanical monotony in the question-and-answer exercise if used without variation, and any exercise that will aid in encouraging a spirit of adventure, a willingness to use new speech units as a basis for self-expression, is well worth trying. It is suggested that the pupil be allowed to refer to the key-words in giving the résumé and that he be directed to make such word groups for himself of those chapters not already provided with the _Redacción_. It is a valuable exercise to select the significant words and phrases, those that suggest in logical sequence the principal episodes of the narrative as well as their descriptive background.

The editor gratefully acknowledges her indebtedness to Sr. Juan Ramón Jiménez for permission to use _Platero y yo_, to Professor Federico de Onís, General Editor of this Series, for his valuable assistance in preparing the material, and to the Editorial Department of D.C. Heath & Co. for many helpful suggestions and advice.

G.M.W.

#ÍNDICE#

PREFACE

JUAN RAMÓN JIMÉNEZ