Chapter 3: Dallying in Diagon Alley

With only two days left before going back to Hogwarts, you and Poppy really needed to get your new school supplies.
"Will your grandmother be joining us?" You asked your friend as you were putting on a simple black skirt and a blue blouse, sitting on the bed to pull your stockings on.
   Poppy hummed while brushing her hair, having already dressed. "No, she's planning to go on a trip to the coast and do research on Graphorns there."
Finishing up her hair she turned around to look at you. "She'll have to be here to make sure everything is all set for her to go as soon as we leave for Hogwarts."
   "I see." Was all you said as you now were clasping your shoes on. "I don't think I told you before, but I really like your gran."
Poppy beamed at you as you brushed your hair. "I knew you would! She's fond of you too."

The busy streets of Diagon Alley were a stark contrast towards the peaceful roads in Bainburgh, but it was familiar and as you took a moment to take it all in, you were hit by nostalgia as you remembered the last time you were here it was with professor Fig.
It had been your very first time here and you had been gaping at everything remotely magical that you saw. Strange how it all was so normal already.
   "Where do you want to go first?" Poppy's voice broke through your ponderings.
"I need to go to Flourish and Blotts first for the new schoolbooks, after that I want to get a set of new robes at Madam Malkin and I'll pop into Amanuensis Quills too for some new ink, parchment and quills." You listed up as you thought through what you needed. "I'm also thinking of getting an owl, so I want to go to Eeylops Owl Emporium too."
   You looked at Poppy. "Are there any shops you want to visit?"
She smiled and nodded. "I need to go to Flourish and Blotts too, but while you're getting your robes, I'll pop in the Apothecary real quick. I need a new batch of potion ingredients. After that I'll join you at Amanuensis Quills."

Having made your plans and knowing what you both were looking for, you began making your way through the crowd.
   After getting your books at Flourish and Blotts, you and Poppy went your separate ways and agreed to wait on the other at the quill-shop if either of you isn't there yet.

Going into Madam Malkin, you see her being busy checking up the size of a very familiar face.
Ominis Gaunt is standing on a little stepping stool as Madam Malkin is measuring his sizes while basically walking in circles around him.
   It's been awhile since you've spoken last to him and you only received that one owl at the beginning of summer.
   You've always liked Ominis and his witty comments. Despite your rocky start, he's always been a good friend to Sebastian and Anne. To you now too, but now you just felt awkward and didn't know if he actually thought you were friends.

Preferring to not find out now, you turn on your heel to quietly walk out the shop again. You could always go to Gladrags in Hogsmeade somewhere in the first week of school to get your new robes.
   Just as your hand is on the doorknob, Madam Malkin calls out to you.
"I'll be done in a second dear, so no need to leave." You stiffen as Ominis tilts his head towards the general direction of the door where you're still standing still like a statue.
   You force yourself to relax as you let your hand fall back at your side and turn towards the shopkeeper again.
"Are you looking for school robes or dress robes?" Madam Malkin asks you as she seems to finish up measuring Ominis.
Clearing your throat, you answer her. "School robes." And as the words leave your lips, you can see the recognition form on Ominis' face.
   He calls out your name in question as Madam Malkin guides him of the stool and pulls you onto it.
"Didn't think I would encounter another student shopping this late for school supplies." He says conversationally.

Huh. Maybe you were just being silly earlier.
"Me neither." You tell him. "I'm with Poppy, but she had to go to the Apothecary for a little bit. We'll see each other at the next shop." You felt like you were rambling, even though you weren't even saying that much.
   "I see. Did you have a good summer?" Madam Malkin tugs at your arms to spread them out as she continues to measure you.
"All things considered, it was alright. Spending time with Poppy and her grandmother has been very nice." You tell him honestly. "How was yours?"
   His face darkens, but only for a second. "It was...something. Mostly spend it with at home, but these last weeks I'm spending it with Anne. She's leaving Feldcroft."
You didn't see that coming, though it shouldn't be surprising.