𝑽𝑰𝑰. ⸻ the escape

MINERVA LAY FLAT, TRYING HER HARDEST TO STAY AS STILL AS POSSIBLE. She tried not to breath, knowing that it would make her torso move up and down. She'd be an idiot to move–even the smallest inch–and she hoped her nerves thought the same thing. She laid face down in the mud. Partly so the rex would have a harder time seeing her and partly so she wouldn't have to be face to face with what killed her. Which she was sure it would.

Then, she heard its loud stomps. But, the loud stomps were going away, they were getting quieter. And quieter. Then, after a while, she didn't hear anything at all. It was silent, and she knew that there was no possible way for an animal like that to just be silent, so she took a faint breath, and opened her eyes.

Minerva looked up slowly, seeing that the dinosaur had in fact left. And that she was alive. She let out a staggered sigh, that bled into a single sob. She covered her mouth with the back of her hand as she stood up slowly. She wiped the mud off of her face, inspecting that every part of her was still perfectly attached.

She was alone now, though. The three of them had fallen into the enclosure, and she was left behind. She knew she wouldn't want to shout down to them to see if they were alive because the dinosaur was most likely still in the vicinity. And, she was unsure if she could muster to yell after such a fearful experience.

Minerva was shaking and breathing heavily. She didn't know what to do. She was alone, and she didn't know how far away she was from anyone or anything. The power was still out and she had no directions to the main center.

She slowly moved to where Gennero had ran. The hut bathroom he ran into was knocked over and she kicked some debris around until she saw it. Her stomach churned, and she knew that if she had decided to eat lunch, it wouldn't have stayed in her stomach for long. The T-rex had left behind some parts of him, but they were all mauled and gory. She wondered how someone who she was just sitting near just a few hours before could have been so mercilessly killed. His limbs were flung around like they were nothing, and they didn't belong to a man. With a heart, mind, and soul.

She thought that, if fate had not been in her favor, her limbs would be strewn around the muddy landscape just the same way.

Minerva was still crying and she started to cry even harder when she realized the shocking truth of what she had just seen. And who else it might of happened to.

"Ian." Minerva said, sort of loudly, looking around. She moved anything she could out of the way. Flinging the splayed pieces of roof to a large pile. She didn't know what had happened to him after the flare incident, and she was getting nervous. What if those remains were both Ian and Gennero?

"Ian!" She continued shouting until she lifted up a large peice of what used to be the bathroom walls.

He was lying there, he wasn't moving or making a sound and Minerva sunk to her knees. he was still in one piece. Mud seeped into the legs of her jeans and the toes of her shoes.

"Ian. Wake up. Please," she said, shaking him. He wasn't responding. "They fell into the enclosure. I don't know what to do if it comes back. Please, Ian."

His shirt was unbuttoned most of the way down, more than she remembered at least. There was a substantial and bloody wound and he had red running down his leg. Her stomach churned and she turned in the other direction to gag. She couldn't take this. Minerva didn't feel like an adult at all, she couldn't even handle blood.

Minerva was still crying, sinking lower in the mud. "And it ate Gennero. Well, parts of him," She was sobbing and hiccuping, terribly afraid that it was going to come back and kill either of them. She couldn't stop thinking of the mutilated limbs and Gennero's screams before he died. Or even Lex's shrill scream when she was near death. Minerva touched his arm, like maybe that might make him wake up instead of shaking him.