Chapter VI.

Word Count: 1732

Word Count: 1732

       Arlene loved Norman's crow's feet.

The folds on the outer corners of his eyes were something she just could not get enough of, so much that whenever they spoke at a close proximity, she could not resist tracing the fine lines with her fingertips.

And as luck would have it, the two were very close at the moment, with Arlene on Norman's lap and his arms wrapped securely around her. They were in the actor's dressing room, and as Arlene outlined the wrinkles around his left eye, her companion spoke of his past run-in with Greta Garbo.

"And my being filled with booze, I called out, 'Is that Greta Garbo? Man, she's about the unhappiest looking doll I've ever seen!'" Norman grimaced at the memory and dropped his voice low for the story's next half. "Little did I know though, that the reason she looked so upset was 'cause the press was looking for her. When those words left my mouth, they swarmed her like they were bees and she was the last living flower."

"Poor woman," Arlene said as her hand left his face and played with the collar of his gray tweed sport coat. "Did you ever apologize?"

Norman shook his head. "Never got the chance. But I swore if the two of us ever starred in a movie together, I'd make things right. And we know that that never happened, with Greta retiring and all."

"Have you ever considered retirement?"

He seemed to think about the question for a moment before answering.

"Once," he admitted, his eyes directed past her. "I was at the age where you either settle down then and get circled or never at all. I chose to stay in Hollywood. And I'm happy I did."

"Why's that?" Arlene asked teasingly, something that got a smile out of Norman. Pulling her hips further up his thighs, Norman ran his hands along her lower back and replied: "I've gotten to meet you."

She blushed—even after being exclusive for the last two weeks he still had that effect on her—and bent her head down to plant a kiss on his lips. Norman deepened the kiss and ran a hand through her Rita Hayworth-inspired curls.

When they parted, Arlene was beaming yet Norman's expression was not to the same degree. Reaching past Arlene and grasping his script that he had thrown down on the coffee table, Norman snuck a glance at his watch. "We better get rehearsing. They might call us early because we're shooting across town and you have to figure in the time it'll take to get everyone there."

Although slightly disappointed, Arlene climbed off of Norman's lap and sunk into the sofa next to him. Realizing she didn't have her script on her, she sprung up out of the seat she just made herself comfortable in and gave Norman a guilty look.

"I forgot my script in my dressing room," she bit her lip as Norman avoided her gaze, conscious of how her action made a case for the two holding off on a romantic relationship until filming of Washburn's movie concluded.