Keep Your Eyes on the Road

Bode's mom drives carefully, chancing a glance over at me ever so often. She's not the type to hold her tongue and she can basically strike up a conversation with anyone so it's no surprise who starts talking first. "So are you nervous hun?" She says clearing her throat. She must have caught me fiddling with the necklace that my dad have given me on my birthday after my mom died. I let it drop back down to the nape of my neck, feeling the relief that the cold metal brings to my heated flesh, "It's that obvious huh?" I say as I reach over to crack open the window. She looks over with a look on her face that showcases a map of fine wrinkles. For a minute I wonder how many of those Bode has given her, "It's okay to be nervous. But how many appointments have you already been to and you've been given the all-clear?" She says softly. I chuckle nervously, "More than enough to know that the baby is doing just fine," I state just like my droning gynecologist who is all smiles accompanied by a weirdly monotone voice. Sharon gives me a look before letting a smile split across her face, "Come on Gabriella, what will it take for you to believe that the baby and you are going to be..." She begins just as the sound of a revving engine pulls both of our attention back to the road. We see a blur of green and hear the screeching of tires before our car goes rolling off the road.