Chapter 15

Willy felt bile rising in his gut as Lieutenant General James Widelane made his presentation in a small conference room to Reverend Cruz and the other senior officers and ministers of the provisional Separatist government.

"Federal forces," Widelane repeated for the fourth time in five minutes, "will start their invasion by taking St. Louis and then proceed by barge and rail down the length of the Mississippi river where they will capture port cities along the Gulf of Mexico: New Orleans, Pensacola, and Galveston. In short, Ladies and Gentlemen, they will cut our territory in two and blockade our sea access."

Widelane paused for effect and then advanced his three dimensional holographic display to show an animation of blue-colored Separatist forces moving north and pushing back red Federal units. "The best defense has always been a good offence. To preempt the Federal incursion, we must make a daring surprise strike against Chicago. This is the logistical base from which any Federal raid on St. Louis and the Mississippi region will be supplied. It's also a critical transportation hub for the Federal economy. We can win this war in one quick swoop."

Widelane advanced his presentation to display a series of charts. "The coming offensive is so critical for our survival that I recommend we commit the lion's share of our limited resources. The charts below display my suggested allocations of resources ranging from jet fuel to ration packs, and the data crystals I've distributed to you all have even more detail."

Willy looked to Cruz, waiting for her to speak. But she stared down at the table, offering no resistance to Widelane's claims. Willy remembered her request that he support her when her strength failed. He wondered if she was simply using him as a stooge, someone who could take a fall if opposing Widelane proved unpopular. If so, her political instincts were better than he'd given her credit for.

Nevertheless, Willy reminded himself where his duty lay. Not to any government, but to his nation. He'd come too far, given up too much, to fail in that duty now. Willy stood up and waited for Widelane to recognize him.

"Brigadier Johnson?" asked Widelane, a hint of impatience audible in his Texan twang. "Do you have a question?"

"Yes, General. If I may?" Widelane nodded curtly. Willy gestured towards the graphical charts displayed by the holovision. "General, I appreciate your detailed analysis of resources. But you haven't touched upon civilian casualties. Regardless of whether we attack Chicago first or the Federals attack St. Louis, millions of civilians will die on both sides from the inevitable disruptions that would occur in already tenuous food supply chains."

"Brigadier Johnson, that's why it is imperative that we act quickly, to prevent such disruptions." Widelane's tone was patronizing, and his emphasis of Willy's more junior rank was meant to discredit him.

"With due respect, sir, you just stated one objective of your proposed offensive is precisely to disrupt the Federal distribution necessary to feed the population. There's still trade across the border. A lot of the food going through Chicago feeds our people."

"Thank you for pointing out this contingency, Brigadier. If you'd like I can second you to the quartermaster's staff to look after food distribution." There were subdued laughs from a group of Widelane's staff officers who stood against the wall of the room.

"My assignment is at your discretion, sir," replied Willy, careful not to show his growing anger at how the general was treating him. To act defiantly towards a senior officer would be a violation of military etiquette serious enough to hurt his case. No doubt Widelane hoped his provocations would elicit just such defiance. "But I have another question."

Widelane sighed theatrically. "What is it?"

"I'm not an experienced tactician so I'm reluctant to question your logic, sir."