VII

Kind of a shit chapter, but eh.

Kouyou took an eternity. We agreed to meet at seven, but almost a full hour had gone by and I was sitting here alone. Something may have come up with work, but if it had I should've gotten a notification and I didn't.

The waiters were getting impatient as well as I. If she didn't come soon I would leave because I had way better things to do tonight. I clicked my tongue in annoyance, resting my chin in the palm of my hand. A glass of wine in my left which felt like I had been drinking forever.

A waiter slowly approached, walking like he had a stick up his ass. His moustache aligned with his crooked smile. "Chuuya-dono, she has arrived."

I looked at him. "Finally. What took her so long?"

"She says she had some urgent business to attend to."

"Oh?"

The doors opened to the Mafia's private dining hall, guards surrounding the female within. At first I couldn't get a clear shot, but the second I saw the brown hair between the black suits I knew what was happening. I knew that this had been a set up, I had suspected it from the very start. A few days prior to our little dinner meeting, Kouyou had been acting weird. Anyone wouldn't have noticed, but I did. Something told me it had something to do with Chia.

When she appeared as the guards separated from her, my heart almost stopped. She was beautiful yet looked so worn out, it broke my heart. She was wearing a sleek black maxi dress with simple silver jewellery, and surprisingly her hair was up. Despite her beauty, he eyebags were sunken, her shoulders appearing slightly thinner, and her face as pale as a ghost.

"Chuuya-chan." She said softly.

What surprised me was the fact that I felt no anger or hatred towards her as she stood in front of me. A part of me couldn't hate her, it was practically impossible. One of the guards pulled out a chair for her and she sat in it slowly, almost as if she was in pain.

"Chia-s— I mean, Chia-chan. What are you doing here?" Even though I already knew I figured it was better to ask than to sit in awkward silence.

Her eyes could barely meet mine. She was definitely nervous. If Kouyou forced her into this then I planned on having a nice chat with Kouyou when I got back to headquarters.

"Well I was hoping to explain what happened that day..." Her eyes nervously met mine, her voice shaky. I had never seen her shy and nervous, it was almost scary. "Since I never got the chance."

I remember that day very clearly. She came up the stairs covered in hickeys and bruises, can't forget the bite marks either. I felt so betrayed by her yet I was concerned who could do such wicked things to a woman's body. I was so upset in the moment at her, whoever did that to her, and myself, for not making a move sooner. When I stormed out, I was upset, but then my actions eventually became guilt and sadness because I hadn't realised how much I would miss her until she was gone.

"Please go ahead. You and I both deserve one." I took a sip out of my wine casually, to avoid eye contact. I could see her face light up with relief out of the corner of my eye.

There was a long silence before she began. As she began speaking, her hands fidgeted nervously in her lap. "So the afternoon we were at the festival right as we were about to, uhm, kiss, Dazai, who is one of my coworkers, came and I threw you into the bushes. Apparently he saw that, and he also saw the text messages on my phone the next morning. I had gotten really drunk and I had thrown up in his car so he took me back to his place, to help me clean up." She looked at me, searching for any sort of reaction. For her sake I was trying to do my best serious face. "That's how he saw all of your text messages. And apparently Dazai is obsessed with me, well I sort of knew he had a little crush but I definitely underestimated him. So he blackmailed me into fucking him. If I continued to screw him, he wouldn't spill our secret to either of our bosses."