Piece by Piece

Nico hated this part of the job

Nico hated this part of the job. The part where the kids opened up about deep shit. Of course, he wanted to help. But some days it took an emotional toll. Some days it was triggering for even him.

Some days like today. His final client of the day, a fourteen-year-old Hermes kid, had decided to share their thoughts of suicidal ideation. It was a hard path to go down. Of course, he was glad the kid could trust him, but Nico had been dealing with it himself for quite a while now. Thoughts of jumping off of rocks, of impaling oneself with a sword, or making it look like an "accident" to get away with it easier... It was hard to shake intrusive thoughts like blowing your brains out or splattering into the river.

~

Nico was by no means perfect.

But he was swift.

You could take away his confidence. You could take away his dignity. You could take away his smile. But you could not take away his freedom.

He goes where he pleases, when he pleases. Whether it be shadow-traveling to his father's realm, or picking where to have sex with Percy, or finding the best time to talk about real life stuff. That liberated spirit of his never disappeared, not as a child and not as an adult now.

He was free to hurt himself, help himself, learn, refuse to learn, grow, be stubborn, be sad, be happy and anything else he so desired at his own whim.

Percy loved that about him. He never really thought about it, but if he could identify it, Percy would consider that his favorite thing about Nico. No one dared step in the way of his freedom because that was the one thing Nico had. Something so many people don't, to no downfall of their own usually.

It was refreshing, even in the darkest of times.

~

Dinner was Nico's most hated (and most beloved) time of day

He was the only Hades child, still. After all this time, he'd hoped for a younger kid to come around, but none did. Percy and his younger sibling, named Heron, sat together - they treated it as a bonding experience.

Nico wasn't much of an eater, but every once in a while, Heron would sit with a friend and Percy would come steal a seat next to Nico. They'd get odd looks, but most didn't question it because they were young adults by now (basically ancient in demigod years, considering the average lifespan) and could do what they wanted since they worked here. Old habits die hard, so Nico never considered sitting somewhere else unless one of the other kids was by themselves, but he smiled brightly when Percy came to sit with him today.

He waved lightly, "Hey, Perce."

"Hey, Nico," Percy sat down with an exhale, looking somewhat disheveled.

With furrowed eyebrows, Nico calls Percy's plate for him, a plate of blue pizza, "You doing okay, man?"

The son of Poseidon, now sitting at the Hades table, nodded, "Didn't get as much sleep last night, but otherwise I'm doing good. Great, even."

Nico gave a smirk, "Great?"

"Yeah. I'm sitting here talking to you."

He rolled his eyes, "Don't be such a flirt at supper."

"You mean dinner."

"I mean supper."

The two laughed, and continued bickering, shooting sly and needy glances at each other.

By the end of the night, Nico had stood up slowly, his shadow drawing in the shadows around him. He was feeling a lot of overwhelming feelings that he wasn't showing.

"Mine tonight?" he asked quietly.

Percy gave a silent nod.

~

Nico stood in front of his bedroom mirror, staring at his reflection. The longer he looked at it, the more warped it seemed. He couldn't tell if it was the tears or just the fact that he didn't break eye contact with himself, but it would've scared him if he weren't so upset. He pushed against the counter with his arms, leaning a bit forward. His eyes were dark and his hair was darker, but what considered him the most were the tear-stains on his cheek.

He let out a long exhale. Almost tired from holding back the tears, he looked away from his reflection, feeling the heaviness in his chest. He took a tissue and began wiping his face, cleaning up.

Suicidal ideation. What a gift, he thought. It has me crying on a nightly basis.

He didn't look in the mirror again besides fixing his hair before turning off the light and leaving, closing the door behind him. He walked back to his bed, sitting on it for a moment to gather his thoughts.

It'll be fine, he thought. I'm okay. I can handle this. It's nothing new.

~

About an hour later, Nico's distraction had finally arrived, bringing a smile to his face. With eyes that caved into to desire and a thin black shirt on, Nico found himself sitting on his bed, looking up at Percy was again.

"You look so fine tonight," Percy commented, leaning down and sliding his fingers through Nico's hair.

"Mm, I live to serve..." Nico smirked in response, leaning up to meet Percy's lips.