You Forget I'm a Soccer Player, Babe!

I peered out at the beach, listening to the seagulls by the sea as I ate my ice cream, and after a few moments of silence, I looked over—ultimately realizing that it was too silent.

And upon turning my head, I felt my breath hitch slightly in my throat—for once Karter wasn't doing anything, just staring forward as she ate her ice cream, but it was something about her side profile, the way her stray hairs blew in the wind and the way she ate her ice cream.

Which she was suddenly making look good, and now I was suddenly wishing I got cake batter too.

Cookie dough just doesn't sound all that appealing anymore.

I blinked a few times when I noticed myself zoning into the way Karter's tongue glided into the white ice cream, urging my very inappropriate thoughts away.

"Do you want some?" Karter asked, her hazel eyes glancing over at me. "Because you're looking at my ice cream like you're about to steal it and run."

That's... probably true, but internally I knew it wasn't just the ice cream, and I absolutely wanted to scold myself for even thinking such things of Karter.

I shook my head a few times, "No, no it's fine," I said, but Karter only held her ice cream cone to my lips, causing me to look down at it, I do really want some. "You're not going to want it after my mouth has been on it."

Karter raised a brow, "Technically my mouth was on it first," she said, which made my stomach jolt with tiny bolts of electricity. "Just try it Slo—it's really good..." she said, wiggling her brows at me.

I sighed, leaning down to her extended cone to try some, but a gasp escaped my lips when she pushed it slightly into my face, coating my entire mouth and nose in the ice cream.

A string of annoying laughs escaped Karter's lips as I licked the excess ice cream from my lips, "I'm actually going to kill you," I said.

Karter only laughed harder, "I can't-I can't breathe."

I wiped my hand over my face, wiping away the sticky ice cream, "Karter, I'm seriously about to kill you," I said, but Karter's laughter grew louder, which made me lower my tone, "Seriously, you should run."

"Run?" Karter laughed, clutching her stomach, but when I only stared at her silently, Karter's laughter died down rather quickly, looking over at me hesitantly.

And when I pounced slightly, Karter jolted up from the bench, running toward the beach as I stood up sharply and ran behind her.

"Run all you want, but I will catch you!" I called out as she ran even faster with her ice cream cone loose in her hand.

"You forget I'm a soccer player, babe!" she called out behind her, which made me run with even longer strides.

I just love proving a point, you know?

Karter neared the ocean, which made my brain hesitate for a moment, but I was determined to catch her.

As she got even closer to the large body of water, I said, "You wouldn't dare!"

Karter only laughed, "Try me!"

I let out an internal groan, knowing that if she really did go in the ocean then I would have to as well, and I absolutely despise wet clothes.

A sharp gasp left my lips when the ocean water splashed around my ankles—then up my legs—and even up to my chest, luckily, the water slowed Karter down, giving me a chance to reach out for her.

I grabbed her shoulders with one hand, holding my ice cream away from the water with the other.

"Aw, babe, did you come to save me from drowning?" Karter said as I pulled her back into me.