Late night shenanigans

Characters:
- Donnie
-Don (AU version of Donnie)

Summary:
Don voices some concerns regarding his current situation. Not wanting his counterpart to worry himself senseless, Donnie comes up with a great plan to distract him.

==========================

Nightly trips to Donnies lab weren’t something Don would’ve ever considered being real. The shy turtle couldn’t sleep and thinking he would wake up his brothers with his constant tossing and turning, he quietly made his way over to where he knew his older counterpart was working in, even when he should already be asleep.

It seemed like all Donnies had the same poor sleeping habits.

Padding through the silent lair, that was a abadoned subway station, Don could already see a faint light seeping through from underneath the huge door.

Quickening his pace he left the common room behind, his soft footsteps barely audible as he went up the stairs. From the other side the young turtle couldn’t make out any sounds, making him wonder if Donnie fell alseep over his work again. Wouldn’t be the first time, after all.

Deciding to just find out he knocked against the door – as he always did, since he did not want to just enter his counterparts domain without asking first, it seemed rude – and only entered after hearing Donnie giving him his okay.

Pushing open the giant metal door, and nearly tripping over his own feet doing so, Don peeked inside the lab, seeing his counterpart hunched over his laptop, only the desk lamp illuminating the room. Stepping inside and closing the door behind him, he padded over to the desk, only sitting down on the spare chair when he was allowed. He didn’t want to possibly be rude, after all.

Resting his head in his arms Don stared at the nearest wall, studying the posters his counterpart had plastered onto them. Except for the ticking of the clock, the soft humming of the desk lamp and Donnies rapid tapping onto the keyboard it was quiet. At least until the taller turtle spoke up.

„So…what brings you here?“

Adverting his gaze from the informative science posters, Don peered over to his counterpart, slowly lifting his head off his arms, but keeping them crossed still.

Donnie had directed his attention to the younger turtle now, leaning against the backrest of his chair and waiting for a reply with his occasional-patience, that only seemed to be a thing when it came to his interests.

„Well…“, Don sighed, dropping his gaze onto the paperwork scattered over the desk. Dozens of graphs, tables and other science-y stuff laughed back at him, some of which he understood and others which he’d never heard of before. However, none of it seemed to help him figure out, how to word his thoughts best.

„I-„

A loud sigh was all that came over his lips and Don just stared at the papers even more intently. But he didn’t touch it, only stared. He made out more words, sentences. But as much as he tried, he couldn’t understand just what his counterpart had written down on there. He was aware the ninja had been on countless adventures before, coming face to face with sci-fi-like and paranormal things, Don himself had always denied being real.

Just as this dimension-travelling, him and his brothers had been unwillingly subjected to. Now they were stranded here in this unfamiliar world, surrounded by strangers who looked just like them and their friends back at home. Never in his wildest dreams, had Don ever imagined something like this to be real.

And while they all had only welcomed them in with open arms and given them countless of support, the young teen longed for his home dimension. But exactly that was what made his stomach turn. What if there was just no way back?