Wayward Teen

Erland

Bella sent me a text around five in the morning on Monday. All it said was "Teen Center." But it was enough to tell me that she'd succeeded.

This Friday afternoon, almost a week after the fiasco of a dinner, we would be meeting Grace at Wayward for an interrogation. Not that Grace knew that. Or Bella, for that matter. But I needed answers.

After dragging my feet through the school week—and noting Grace's absence during English class—the fateful moment finally arrived. Kat picked me up, and then I dropped her off at the house before swinging by Wayward Publishing.

Though the press was all hustle and bustle on the other floors, the teen center was a ghost land. Multicolored LED lights along the hallways cast a cheery glow, but the absence of laughter and music only sent a shiver down my spine. My footsteps made a soft brushing sound against the carpet.

I turned and started towards the recording studio. Studio B. Two figures greeted me on the other side of the glass when I entered— Grace and Bella. The monitors were off, but I caught a steady light from the top left corner of the buttons. I had to hide my nervous smile.

Bella was too smart to let the opportunity to recording our conversation pass.

I entered the room with more ease, and settled in the stool across from where Bella sat with Grace on a small bench. The mic hovered between us, but far enough to the side that any regular person would think it wouldn't pick up the sound.

Bella grinned when she saw me. Her expression morphed into serious when she looked at Grace. "Ready?"

Grace didn't look up from picking the blue polish off her nails, but she nodded.

"Tell Erland what you told me."

Grace glanced over at my shoes. "Katherine is my sister." She pulled a yellowed paper from her pocket and finally met my gaze. She had hazel eyes. Like Katherine. I shoved the thought aside.

"Andrew took a DNA test last year for Christmas," she said. "Andrew's my big brother. It showed Dad has another child somewhere. Katherine."

I crossed my arms. "How do I know you didn't fake it?"

She couldn't possibly know that Kat had taken a DNA test a few years back, but I couldn't let her rest her case on that alone. Electronic pages were easy to fake. Though, a part of me wondered... if I logged in to Kat's old account now,would I see the same results?

"It's true! Andrew has the login but I could ask him for it.—"

Bella put a hand on Grace's arm. "Show him the other thing."

Grace shot a frustrated look my way, then held out her hand. I took the yellow paper and unfolded it's crinkled edges. Mom's own delicate handwriting greeted me. I could tell by the signature double-swirl of her y's and the angular arch of her n's.

When are you coming? We can't stay here much longer. Jonathan is getting worse by the day. We have to be careful. Last time you left, he found your note, went ballistic.

I'll wait for you at our place by the park. I'll be ready. Then we can start over.

Love,

Camille

My head hurt, my heartbeat pounding in my ears like a monster trying to break out of my skull. I read it again, but I couldn't bring myself to read it out loud for the recording. No, it would have to be enough that I would never be able to erase this from my memory.