Dumont Inc.

Betsy

We were in.

I straightened my blazer, lifted my chin, and stepped into the lobby of the corporate building. It was instantly familiar, the glass-paneled walls, the etched marble ceiling, and the circle desk at the far end. All of Katie Dumont's buildings were the same. All of them had their secrets.

The secretary greeted us when we entered. "I'm here to speak with Ms. Dumont," I said, flashing my business card. The woman's eyes widened at the silver lettering embossed on the scarlet paper.

"Right this way to the conference room," she said, hurrying around the desk without so much as a second glance back.

Katherine threw me a confused look, but I shook my head. I'll explain later, I mouthed. I led the way behind the secretary, Katherine and Matt walking a bit slower behind me, to a pair of dark oak doors on the third floor.

"Thank you," I said. "I expect there's a suitable projector in there." I held up a small silver USB drive. "These are confidential matters."

The woman nodded. "All our conference rooms are equipped with separate servers for confidentiality. Would you like some refreshments?" When I didn't immediately respond, she went on. "Ms. Dumont might be a bit late. She wasn't expecting you right now, but I'll tell her shortly—"

"Actually—" I threw a look at Katherine, running through my head the list of names I'd seen in the lobby "—my friend here wanted to meet Mr. O'Haire. Could you please take them to speak with him for a moment?"

The secretary nodded, stealing another glance my way, and then gestured for Katherine and Matt to follow. She would take them to Mr. O'Haire, of course, same as she led me up here. As would anyone who saw my husband's name scrawled along the scarlet business card. Good thing I'd kept a few, though I'd have to be more careful or risk association with his former associates.

But this was the only way I could get the answers I needed.

The conference room was spacious and bright, with six chairs around an oval mahogany table. A projector sat directly center about the table, which when shining down, would display 3-D models of whatever diagrams were present. I knew as much because we had the same model back at Chase Industries.

I tapped the computer mouse until the monitor awoke. No password. Good.

Plugging in the USB, I started my search.

It was easier to steal something when there wasn't a lawyer down my neck. At least Matthew wouldn't have to lie about the monumental information I was going to take from Dumont's servers.

It was easy to find the secret files. Same code as my husband's files back when we broke down the corruption Chase Industries. Inside the hidden section of the hard drive was a folder named PROJECT JUNIPER. Inside that, numerous last names..... HUGH..... KIRK..... NEFTIN.....

My cursor froze over the familiar six-letter surname: MALLOY. 

* * * 

Katherine

The secretary left us in front of an office labeled Cornelius O'Haire.

As soon as we were alone in the hall, Matthew looked at me. "Does she seriously want us to speak with a stranger?"

I read the name again. Then his title: Manager of Operations. It didn't ring any bells. Betsy had already surprised me by exposing herself twice, first with the guard, now with the secretary. I'd expected her to keep her identity a secret—and a terrible feeling settled in my gut that Betsy would be wrapped up in something worse than what Rick had gotten her in before.