"Coffee"

Project [REDACTED] Prelude

Profile - Switch-4 / "Blu"

File Name - "Coffee"

————————————————————————

"Guardian? You awake in there?"

The Exo slowly opened his eyes to see the floating object staring at him about a foot from his face.

"Gah!" The Exo recoiled back and hit his head on the kitchen counter. "Ow!" He rubbed his metal head as he looked up to see a ceramic mug tip off of the counter and towards the ground. The Exo fumbled with the mug in his hands, bouncing it around a couple of times before finally catching it.

"You...ok?" The Ghost wasn't sure what to say. He didn't want to be rude and laugh, though it was pretty funny.

"I guess... I'm ok..." The Exo had a clean metallic gray frame with two different colored eyes, the left one yellow and the right one blue. He looked at his hand and wiggled his fingers. A small but excited grin creeped onto his face. The Exo was just happy to be breathing again. He stood up and placed the mug back on the counter.

"So how am I alive?" The Exo looked up at the small floating figure.

"Well, I resurrected you. I'm your ghost. You've been chosen to be a Guardian."

"Cool! ...What is that?"

The Ghost thought for a second and replied, "Basically, you've been chosen to protect people against the Darkness. Y'know, a bunch of bad people, robots, and aliens. That's all you really need to know about them right now. I can explain later. What makes you special is you wield the Light. Again, I'll explain later but basically I can revive you whenever you die."

"Woah! That's really cool!"

The Exo would have plenty of questions, enough to last the whole trip back to the Tower, but right now he was too busy getting distracted by all the items around the apartment they were in.

The Ghost watched as the Exo walked aimlessly around the apartment, inspecting pretty much everything he could find. He could recognize most of the items, but didn't have any memory of them, nothing to associate them with.

The Exo turned back to the counter and saw a machine next to the mug he had placed there. There was a sealed plain white bag adjacent to the mug with black letters across the front

Coffee

"What is coffee?" The Exo had no memory of it, he must've never known what it was even before he died.

"It's something humans drink to give them energy, you should try some." The Ghost knew how to make drip coffee. Humans and even some Exos around the Tower made it all the time. He taught his freshly resurrected companion how to make it as he explained more to him about being a Guardian.

"So do you have a name?" The Exo asked.

"Well, thats for you to come up with."

"Oh... I don't think I'd be very good at coming up with a name..." The Exo replied sheepishly.

He finished brewing and poured some of the liquid into the ceramic mug. He caught a small scent of the coffee before carefully drinking it. As he took a sip the biggest smile that could possibly come across his metal frame appeared, "This is SO GOOD!!!"

The Ghost chuckled slightly at the giddy Exo. "Just wait until you put flavoring and creamer in it..."

The Exo quickly looked up at him in excitement, "You can make it even better?!"

The Ghost hovered over to where there were some powdered flavored creamer packets. The Exo opened a few of the packets and quickly poured them in the coffee. As he stirred he asked the Ghost, "What flavor is it?"

"Vanilla." The Ghost answered

The Exo took a small sip... then proceeded to gulp the rest of it down in a matter of seconds.

The Ghost noted sarcastically, "Something tells me you might be a fan of coffee."

"I LOVE it! It's SO tasty!" The Exo stopped and thought for a second before blurting out, "Vanilla!"

"What about it?" The Ghost asked.

"That can be your name! Vanilla!"

"So I'm just a packet of powder to you?"

The Exo quickly clarified, "Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

"No no no you're fine. I was just being sarcastic. The name sounds great!" The Ghost was used to joking around and having friendly banter with Guardians in the Tower.

"Oh... ok!" The Exo smiled and scratched the back of his head, "Sorry, I'm not very good at understanding sarcasm."

"That's ok, I'll just have to remember that. By the way, since I'm gonna be your companion for quite a while, what's your name?"

The Exo realized he completely forgot to tell Vanilla his name, "Oh! I'm sorry!" He looked down at his wrist where there was a digital inscription. "My Exo name is Switch-4, but I also remember Blu."

"Blu, I'll go with that, it sounds nice."

"Thanks!" Blu replied.

"Well Blu, it's time for us to go find a jumpship, get to the Tower and get settled in. We can worry about your combat skills another time."

The two made their way down the stairs of the apartment complex to find a jumpship. As they walked down the hallway, Blu asked Vanilla a question.

"So do they have coffee at the Tower?"

Vanilla responded, "Oh yeah. They have all sorts of stuff. They even have this ice cream sho-"

Blu jumped in excitement, "THEY HAVE ICE CREAM TOO?!"