Chapter 5

The childhood besties lived together for two reasons:

1.     Their parents did not live in the city and so they could not live with them, as is the Indian custom.

2.     Rent in Mumbai is a bitch.

But they loved it. Mumbai had been their dream since they were old enough to dream. Few are lucky to live their dreams, and they were one of those rare people.

But with the delicious fun of living and working in Mumbai comes the side dish of responsibilities, which, like the rent in Mumbai, is a bitch.

But the girls were romantics. And so they took things like having to heat water on the stove every freaking morning to bath in their stride, citing it as inevitable.

"The landlord has sent the rent bill." Ishani announced as she entered the 1-BHK flat using her key. Arohi was cooking dinner and Mira was bent over, probably looking for something.

"Ah, I was wondering when the old guy would pipe up. Well, I already have my share put in that envelope over there." Said Arohi while stirring something which smelled like dal. 

 "There's also a letter from brother dearest." said Ishani, referring to Kunal, Mira's younger brother, and Ishani and Arohi's too in a way.

"Oh fish! Ma said we have to send the rakhis by today or they won't reach in time for Raksha Bandhan this Wednesday! We haven't even brought the rakhis yet! Oh god!"

"Calm down, drama queen! I and Mira already brought them. I'll send the three rakhis tomorrow morning, they'll reach in time." Ishani said, trying to reign in her laughter at Arohi's panicked expression.

"Oh thank God!"

"You should thank us!" said Mira, plonking herself on the sofa and picking up the TV remote.

"Yeah, whatever." Arohi muttered and went back to her dal.

Tring Tring!

"Hello?" Ishani answered.

"Oh, hi! Yes, of course! 2 pm. Mhm. Mhm. Yeah. Okay, bye!"

"Who was it?" Mira questioned, while flipping channels on the TV.

"Just a client. He is a dancer himself, actually."

"Oh really?"

"Dinner is ready!" Arohi laid the table and called out to them.

"Finally!" Ishani and Mira chorused together.

"So, Arohi, how was the meeting?"

"Oh great! We struck a deal, and their representative was so pleased he gave a little celebratory party!"

"That's so great!" Ishani exclaimed, "A little spontaneous office partying, I love that."

"Um, actually it was just the two of us..." Arohi muttered, while pushing food on her plate.

"Really..." Mira's curiosity was peaked, "You and your client rep... what did you say his name was again?"

"I never told you his name."

"I wonder why."

"No reason. I don't mention everyone I know, now, do I?"

"Just tell us his name."

"Fine. Avinash."

"That's a rich guys name."

"That's not a thing."

"A playboy, I-was-popular-in-highschool-and-got-all-the-ladies name."

"That's not a thing either."

"Did he seem interested in you? Did you ask you out for a second date?"

"NO! What is the matter with you people? Yes, he is young, good-looking, smart, kinda handsome and all, but no! No! NO!"

"You, my friend," Ishani spoke up, "are so in denial."

"Let's just stop talking about this! Just eat your food."

"Okay. Oh," Mira exclaimed, "Aunty called! Roro's Ma? She invited us for lunch this Saturday... I said we will be there. Okay na?"

Ishani and Arohi nodded their agreements.