Chapter 18

Winter hit hard and none of us were prepared for it

Winter hit hard and none of us were prepared for it. In the middle of winter, we had to move the Kingdom to Hilltop, proving to be a challenging thing. Carl and I were constantly trying to hide from the others and plan how to get Alpha. 

It proved to be a struggle though, as we felt all eyes were constantly on us, watching. We walked in a large group towards Hilltop.

"Is that them? People watching us now, huh?" Alden asked from on top of a horse. Lydia looked up at him before her eyes flickered over to the skins walking along the tree line.

"Alden, leave her alone," I told him, wrapping my arms around myself.

"Well, we followed their rules. Haven't they done enough?" Alden continued.

"Hey," Daryl called out. "Why don't you lay off." Alden stared at Lydia for a moment before she turned away.

"Can't you just leave her alone?" I rolled my eyes, taking a deep breath as flashbacks hit me. 

"You okay?" Alden asked me.

"Fine," I said, looking towards the skins. 

Alden sighed, lowering his voice. "You still dreaming of them?" 

"Not now, Alden," I said as we slowed down. Two walkers stumbled towards us but Carol shot one of them.

"Keep going. We'll catch up," Ezekiel said as he and Daryl headed toward the walkers.

"I know you haven't been sleeping much," Alden said.

"Not now," I snapped through gritted teeth.

"Sorry that I care, Mrs. Grumpy pants," Alden told me. I huffed and fell back, walking beside Carl. Grayson had headed back to update Mom and tell her I was okay but that I was staying at Hilltop for a while longer. Well, that and to check on Theo. Poor kid can hardly make himself a sandwich. 

"You know, I found a spare sword similar to Michonne's. I'm been practicing using it. I want to be able to cut Alpha's head off in one motion," I explained quietly.

"It's probably more efficient than your other knives," Carl nodded. "We should be able to go after her once the weather becomes nicer. No point in going out in a snowstorm."

"Right," I said, nodding. 

"Wheathers already kicking in. Even if we hauled ass overnight, we'd never make it," Jerry said as we came to a stop. 

"We need to get off the roads, find shelter between here and the next way station," Aaron agreed, glancing around.

"You have a place in mind," Ezekiel asked. The two must've caught up to the group while I was distracted talking to the boys. 

"Yeah," Michonne said. "But you're not gonna like it." Michonne glanced over at me and I put it together like a puzzle.

"No," I shook my head.