Chapter 11: Finals

A week later, Kara and Julie were studying at the coffeehouse for one of their last tests before finals week. Since they came in every day, the owner had started saving them the table by the window in the front and let them text their coffee order on their walk over so it was ready when they arrived. Sometimes she even threw in an extra treat. She had a soft spot for the kids who went to their school since it was her alma mater too.

Her parents didn't mind her hanging out with Kara. They seemed relieved that she made a friend so quickly. Andromeda only left the house now to go out shopping or go to the beach with her and Kara.

Julie stared out the window at the arched brick building across the street. People went in and out of there every afternoon, even some kids her age, but there was no sign like it was a store. Kara didn't seem to know what it was either and got kind of spacey when she asked her. She liked Kara, but she had a habit of drifting off into daydreams or something when they were talking. Especially when it was interesting.

"Do you mind if I sit here?" A familiar voice interrupted her thoughts.

"Hey!" She jumped up to give Jamie a big hug. "Of course you can sit here with us."

This was one of the few times she had seen him since they got here. Her mom said he was busy with school and hanging out with new friends too. She seemed to be the only one in her family that thought it was strange Jamie and she no longer hung out. Weren't they friends too? She gulped down the painful thoughts. He was here now.

"Kara, this is Jamie, my brother. He goes to the other school on the island," Julie explained as he pulled up a chair.

"Hey," Kara said cheerfully. "You must know my cousin, Melissande. I think she is in your class too."

"Yes." Jamie face reddened, and his mouth pinched into a frown. "She's your cousin, huh? I can see the resemblance, even though she has brown hair and eyes."

Julie stared at him. She couldn't tell if he was blushing or angry. Maybe it was both. He knew this girl's eye color? He had dated a girl for three months once, and she broke it off after he couldn't tell her the color of her eyes when she closed them.

Who was this Melissande? Maybe she explained some of the reason why he wasn't around.

Kara shrugged. "Yeah, but we don't hang around much anymore. We used to be best friends." Her smile faded, and her expression became blank.

Jamie stared at Kara for a few moments longer, waiting for her to go on. Then he looked at Julie, raising an eyebrow.

Julie whispered back to him so she wouldn't interrupt Kara's daydreaming. "Nice but spacey."

He nodded and looked back at Kara, his expression thoughtful.

"Do you have a test coming up too?" She decided to ask instead of talking about Melissande anymore. She didn't want to scare him off now that he was volunteering to spend some time with her.