Chapter 6

Hnary took Rickard to the back of the library where they could sit in the privacy and cool there. It was a small space, but did have a table and chair to sit at.

"So what do you know of our sword?"

"Only that a knowledgeable person can find it."

Hnary stroked his chin. "That's interesting and would make an narcissist think they could do it."

"And?"

"Well, I think it could be entirely true. Though perhaps a bit misleading. It sounds more like a clue than a blatant fact."

"Does this clue help in any way?" asked Rickard.

Hnary thought about it some more. "Well, the people of this kingdom as a rule like to read and keep up with the world. Knowledge. You are certain it said knowledge? Not intelligence or some sort?"

"I am. Does this matter?"

"I mean, it basically says a person who knows a lot, but Knowledge as a term tend to refer to a vast array of information. Being broad and knowing a lot. Which leads me to wonder. Knowledge is not something you have. You can have smarts, but knowledge is something you have to learn. To acquire."

"And this affects things?"

"I think it does, because typically, here at least. If you want to expand your knowledge, there's only one place you would go."

"The library?" asked Rickard.

"Exactly."

"Well, that narrows the search down to any library that existed a thousand years ago. Assuming it hasn't been lost in ruins."

Hnary chuckled. "Ah, now you lack of knowledge is showing. See now, it's not commonly known, but libraries as they are known today, did not exist back then. We were a far more primitive tribe. Peaceful, but we did seek to learn before we realised we were comfortable the way we are."

"I'm sorry, where are you going with this?"

"Temples. They would be built around our water supplies and as the source of the main thing we need to survives, they were an important location. E got our water there and in the early days, this is where learning happened. Before books and fiction took over. Schooling took place there. If you had knowledge, you would have gained it there. So I think we will find it in a temple."

"And how many of these temples are there?" asked Rickard.

"Every town has one. Our very civilizations were built around these. They would be erected before any other structure. Using solid stones and not the lesser cleys or muds you still see today. In fact, those that survived the warm were among the most ancient of structures across all lands."

"So, there's a lot of them."

"Yes. We can take a peak at our small one here, but I would bet my remaining arm that if it was anywhere, it'd be kept within the temple of Sandella."

"I will look there. Thank you." Rickard got up.

"You're leaving already?"

"No sense waiting around. The Dark ones aren't going to wait until I've found them first."

Henry breathed a heavy sigh, tapping the table surface. "I must be out of my mind. I'm coming with you."

"You don't have to."

Henry waved him off. "Life here is simple and it's not going to stay that way. If you think the Dark ones are going to stop with your province, you'd be out of your mind. I want to protect my home as much as you do. The least I can do is accompany you to Sandella. You might need my insight."