Stuck In A Tree

Chapter Four - Stuck In A Tree

Season One, Episode Two, 'F Sharp'

Misty paced around everyone as she gave directions to Nat and Tai to rip up clothes for Coach Ben's bandages; before she knelt, taking charge of the care of his leg. Their panic subsided slightly as they all became more aware of their surroundings.

Whilst this was happening, Shayne and Violet had decided to take care of dragging whatever they could out of the plane now that the fire had dwindled far enough to not be a danger or produce as much smoke. It was a gruesome task, to say the least, they were stealing the bags of dead teammates and Coach.

"Who would've thought that Annika liked parliaments?" Violet huffed a laugh as she pocketed the cigarettes from the bag.

"Who would've thought Amy smoked weed?" Shayne commented as she pocketed the weed, both sharing a look to keep the secret of their newly found contraband from the others.

"Hey, I just wanted to thank you again for helping me earlier." Violet said as she took the girl in, Shayne's back to her as she ran her eyes up and down her quickly.

Shayne shrugged it off lightly, "You would've done the same for me, I mean you did do the same for Van."

"Yeah but still, thank you."

"No problem." The two girls smiled at each other for a second before turning back to grab bags from the overhead storage.

They were silent in their work after that, continuously grabbing bags to bring outside if they weren't destroyed. This was interrupted by Javi trying to come into the plane, the 13-year-old attempting to find his dad not knowing he had fallen from the plane.

"Hey Javi, don't come in here." Violet stood and blocked the door as he tried to look past her into the plane still full of corpses.

"Is my dad in there?"

"No Javi." Shayne sighed as she stood up too, coming up behind Violet to block the rest of the door.

Taissa came up behind him and attempted to push him away from the plane and towards his brother. Travis was pissed at everyone and ignored everyone's clear need for help, as he claimed everyone on the team were idiots. His dad's death was apparently their fault because helping them put their masks on before he fell out of the plane. This rubbed Shayne the wrong way as it made her believe that he didn't see his dad for what he was, he helped people and he cared for all of the girls. He was misdirecting his anger at them all and it hurt.

The bags had all been brought outside now and they were beginning to take inventory when Laura Lee ran up to her bag to pull out her teddy bear. She sat panting, relieved to see it safe, as a drop of blood found its way to the teddy bear's head. Laura Lee looked up for the source, another drop landing on her head. She screamed, everyone flinching, rushing over to the girl. They looked up and panicked as they saw Coach Martinez impaled on a tree branch above. Javi cried out as all of them looked up with tears in their eyes.

"Dad?" Javi attempted to get closer to the tree as Shayne and taissa held him back.

"Javi, don't look." Violet tried to get the boy to look away from the scarring scene as he tried to fight his way, weakly, out of the hold he was in.

"Holy macaroni is ... is that-" Misty said as she approached, Violet grabbing her hand to stop her approaching the tree.

"He's gotta be dead, right?" Nat said as she looked up, earning a hit on the arm from Shauna.

"Okay, who has the best arm?" everyone looked around confused at Jackie's question.

"I do, Jackie." Mari replied.

"I'm thinking we could try and ... throw things at him and see if he moves." Jackie quietened her voice.

"You want to throw rocks at Coach who fell out of a fucking plane?!" Tai whisper-shouted, trying to be mindful of Javi's presence.

"Fuck no, we can't do that." Shayne said.

"I didn't say rocks. Someone's shoe or whatever."

"Oh, yeah. That's a fuck-ton smarter. You're on fire today, Jackie. Oh wait, that was supposed to be me huh?" Van facetiously commented.

"Look, even if he is still ... you know, he would bleed out when he was taken off of the branch. so," Violet commented as Shauna interrupted.

"We need a plan here."

"We could lower him with ropes." Laura Lee commented as everyone stared at her like she had grown a second head, "Vines, then? I don't know."

"Fuck's sake Laura Lee, we're not gonna Tarzan him out of a tree." Nat replied to her.

"You got a better idea?" Shauna retorted to Nat.

"Than shoes or vines? Sure. Let's just cut the fucking tree down."

This was when Travis noticed that all of them were crowded around. "Dad? Dad!"

He ran towards the tree as the others tried to grab him and stop him from climbing up to him in the tree, Shayne releasing Javi from her grip as she went to grab Travis. Shauna now had to wrestle Javi back from following up after his brother.

Misty ran up with some blankets as they tried to makeshift a parachute. "This is gonna be bad." Violet murmured as she kept her eyes on Travis above them all in the tree.

He had made it to the top and attempted to crawl on the branch to his dad as it started to break at the trunk,. The branch teetered more as he climbed till he had to scamper back to the trunk of the tree and hold on. This was when Coach Martinez's body fell with the branch hitting the floor as the girls turned away at the sound of contact, a loud smack of wood meeting dirt met their ears. His body was unrecognisable as Misty stood staring at the mangled corpse of their coach, Violet pulling her arm back.

--------------

this is actually quite short i think, idk.

Edited 14/07/23