Chapter 1 - Luxray

Flame padded out of the lab, his tail casting sparks excitedly. He couldn't wait to use his new Flame fruit! Flame looked around at the town. Short, stone buildings clustered together, and then after that, a forest, and soon enough, the sea. He could see many Pokémon. He breathed in the Kanto air, smiling. He would leave soon. But think of all the amazing adventures were out there! He just couldn't wait any longer. He padded forward. Pyroar's lab was close to the sea, fortunately, for all the new, young Pokémon to start their journey of adventures. Flame remembered, four years ago, as Lou came out of the professor's lab, aged eleven, so excited. This was his turn. His turn to experience the joy of adventure. Maybe he would even meet Lou along the way, too!

Flame padded to the edge of the sea, at the dock. He paused to breathe in the salty sea air. This was the beginning. there was no turning back now. Flame turned to the bored Charmeleon who sold the boats. He decided to get a Dinghy, as it didn't cost a hair. Charmeleon sighed, dragging their eyes away from him. He leapt onto his new Dinghy, then set sail.

"Now where to go?" He asked himself. "How about Zigzagoon island? It's not to far from here."

Flame began sailing in the direction his Tracker was pointing, feeling nervous. This was a big step. This was scary. But this was-

Zap!

Flame looked up in time to see a Pokémon hovering above him, electricity buzzing around her. Squinting his eyes, he could see it was a Luxray. She smiled, then came down onto the Dinghy. Flame bristled, unsure why Luxray was landing in his boat.

"Who are you?" Flame growled, ready to use his Fire Bullets if he had to. "Why are you on my boat?"

Luxray kept smiling, unusual purple and blue eyes glinting. "Relax, Petit chien. I'm not going to destroy you."

"Petit chien?" He cocked his head.

Luxray rolled her eyes. "It doesn't matter, Petit chien."

She had an French accent; it reminded him so much of Lou. She used to be playful though, used to wag her tail, her eyes shining.

"Are you okay?" Luxray asked, what might be concern on her face. "Y'know, always hard when you start."

Flame shook his head. "No, I'm just remembering my friend."

Luxray went quiet, as though figuring out what to say. Flame pictured Lou's beaming, cheery face. Maybe he would find her. She couldn't have gone too far.

"Y'know, I had a friend too, petit chien." Luxray said, breaking the silence. "He was a growlithe, like you. And he was younger. But then I left him, Petit chien, I left him. I set out on my journey. I wish he'd have come with me. But at least I'm not alone any longer, Petit chien."

That made Flame feel a little bit better, having someone with a similar experience with him.

"We're here, Petit chien!" Luxray purred. "At last!"

Flame hopped out of the Dinghy, excitment buzzing in his body. Sparks exploded from his tail. He looked around and saw a pack of scattered Zigzagoon. What were these kind of Pokémon called again? NP Pokémon. Yes.

"I remember first coming to this place." Luxray whispered. "Before that, Chien têtu begged me to stay, to wait. I couldn't, Petit chien. I needed adventure. Though it was Feu I missed the most. Y'know, that friend I told you about, Petit chien? You are just like him."

Flame tried to remember the French Lou had taught him. Her name...? Aimer.

"My friend called herself Aimer." He began. "She was French too; She had to leave us four years ago. She went with the Smoke fruit, saying she'd eventually find the Rumble fruit, her dream. I still miss-"

Luxray interuppted. "Wait, Aimer? That means Lou, doesn't it?"

"Yes! Do you know her?"

Luxray paused, her eyes filling with realization. Flame wondered what was going on in her head.

"Feu." She breathed. "Petit chien, don't you see? You are Flame."

Flame froze. Of course. How did he not notice? Luxray was so much like Lou - because she was Lou!