ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : CHAPTER FIVE

★○★○★○★

Lynn smirks, "Who said I was alone?"

Behind Lynn stand several people I have seen around at school.

"Hi Naomi!" they say in unison. I stare at them shocked and look back at Lynn.

"Well, these guys have expressed how grateful they are that you take the brunt of the popular kids' demands, and are willing to take the load off for tonight."

They each nodded shyly. "Oh you don't have to do this-" I start to say.

"No, we want to! We've been meaning to say thank you before but there's always someone scary around you so we haven't had the chance..." says one of the girls.

"We asked Lynn a few weeks ago that if you wanted something done, we could help, so here we are."

"Oh...thank you." I smile at them earnestly, not knowing what else to say other than that.

I look back to Lynn, a smile creeping up my face. "Alright, I guess I'll have to explain this to my mom..."

Lynn winks, "I got you covered, I told your mom you helped them with the project outline and have the supplies so they can do it at your house, meaning you and I are free to go!"

I look back at the group, "None of you want to go to the ball?"

One of the guys smiles, "Nah, not our thing"

I never would have thought people at my school would care about me at all. The realization that I wasn't a complete outcast set off fireworks in my heart.

"Okay let's hurry and get ready Naomi!" Lynn yells at me,  going up to my room.

After taking down everything needed for the projects to the living room so the group can start working on them, Lynn drags me to the bathroom where my mom is looking at a beautiful purple dress.

I stop at the entrance of the bathroom. "Lynn, is that seriously my dress?"

She nods proudly.

"This is a white and black ball!"

Lynn hides behind my mom, "Yeah but who ever listens to the theme?" I narrow my eyes at her and run my fingers over the dress. It is a very beautiful dress. Not wearing it despite the theme would be a crime.

After Lynn and I change into our dresses I go back to glaring at her. "How come your dress is black and white?"

Lynn gives me a tight smile, "It brings out my eyes" she says widening her bright green eyes. I push her and she laughs.

"You need some lipstick," she says squishing my face with one hand. "For what? The mask is supposed to be the only thing drawing attention to my face"

"Well, what if you need to kiss someone?"

I push her off, "In what world would I ever need to kiss anyone? No less a high school dance?"

Lynn chases me with the tube of lipstick around the bathroom, "What if you see a frog that needs a kiss to turn into a prince? Or what if you prick your finger and fall asleep and you need a kiss to wake you up from your 100-year slumber? Or what if...hear me out...the hot mysterious stranger to your cool mysterious persona shows up and sweeps you off your feet?"

I stop and let her apply the lipstick, just so she'll shut up. "Did the hot mysterious stranger part convince you?"

"There are no hot mysterious strangers!"