Chapter 9: Bunny

Morally, the game wasn't easy. Teenagers were part of the list of victims as you gently patted the dirt down on the top of their graves. It was easy to play. All you had to do was get the title of the wolf and climb to the ceiling. That was the easiest part of all. Their screams for mercy were what almost broke you. The young girls cry about their families, their friends, their dreams, their future. A father cried for his child despite being the first one to run when he was crowned wolf. There was no doubt that you had managed to survive this game, but the guilt would forever bring you down.

After the explosions went off and you were crowned the victor, you sat at the same ledge where Karube had died in the show. Trying your best to ignore the bodies of the innocent players as they bled out. The flowers glistened under the moonlight, peppered with water droplets on their petals. You watched each one follow its line of movement through the crevices of the petals and eventually reach the ground. Was there any hope for your friends being alive after Niragi took them? Any trust that you had in Danma completely went out the window the moment he refused to let you leave on your own. Something that was going to be difficult to regain, and would only grow back the moment he apologized. He never would, though. He was a man of nature after all.

"For the minute that I knew all of you, I want to apologize. I am sure that if we were to meet outside this setting, that you guys would be the sweetest people. I'm sorry for being selfish... and I can only hope that you rest well," you softly repeated the lines written on a piece of paper. You mentally fought yourself to just throw them in a ditch and call it a day, but they deserved so much better. They didn't ask for this, they wanted to live just as much as you wanted to. Setting down a small arrangement of flowers on each mound, you got on your knees and bowed in forgiveness once more. Apologizing to their bodies, to their families, to their friends, to their futures that would go down the drain for your own.

Raising your head, you were met with an unusual guest. Usagi stood across from you, crouching behind a bush as she tried to remain unseen. When her eyes met yours, she flinched back almost ready to jump away before settling down once she noticed that you were only smiling at her. Patting the spot next to you, you invited her over without expecting anything from her. The moon was already high in the sky, giving the needed atmosphere for the funeral. You really didn't expect her to follow through with your request, but was presently surprised as she kneeled next to you.

She also softly bowed her head towards the makeshift graves, eyes centered on the flowers and then the paper that you grasped in your hand. "Why are you still here?" she questioned, her voice small and meek. It was almost like she didn't want you to hear her question, to turn away from her and leave her there alone.

"I'm waiting for my friends... they should be coming back from their games soon," you responded, crushing the paper in your hand until it was a small ball. She remained quiet but started kneeling next to you as the time passed.

Thirty minutes passed by before she grew tired of kneeling and sat back. The moon's shine was growing dull as clouds started covering it. One droplet fell on your hand, then another on the paper. It grew stronger each droplet you saw fall, eventually pouring down on you as Usagi used her sweater to cover her head. You could hear her rapid footsteps walking away from you, probably escaping the rain to go to her hideout. There was no blame to put on her escape. She had already humored you enough by paying her respects and staying with you.

"Hey, I don't think your friends are coming back for you. C'mon," she said, her voice coming from a store nearby that managed to cover her body from the rain.

"They'll be back. I know they will," you reassured, getting off your knees and standing up. Mud was already painting your legs, seeping through your clothes and making them heavier. "They wouldn't leave me unless their lives depended on it."