Chapter 14

Chapter 14

For the Second Time Around

She must've spent a long time underwater. But his kisses felt like a breath of fresh air and a warm caress after spending a long time in the freezing deep end.

His lips were soft like velvet and she almost forgot how it feels having him like this, with their breaths colliding and hearts beating in sync.

She was feeling dizzy with whatever was transpiring, but she didn't want to let the moment slip away.

This could be a fluke in the system or a hazy dream, and time could cascade and simply go by as it is, but this was something she wanted to live in and hold on to. So if time could do her a favor and suspend for a moment, just for a brief second until she could convince herself that this was real. That she's in his arms and they were truly cheek to cheek with lips locked and moving in a familiar rhythm.

She may have kissed certain people at work whenever the script calls for it.

But Nicco's kisses will always remain as her first, her realest, her favorite, and the only one that ever mattered.

Because for a long long time, she has only ever loved him. Then, and most certainly, even now.

His thumb brushed through her cheek and the grazing of his warm breath along her skin and her heart beating so loudly was enough confirmation that she wasn't imagining all of it.

Francine clutched on his arm as they both pulled away to catch their breaths.

Her eyes remained close and his hand still placed on her cheek. A smile etched on their lips, it wouldn't fade for a second, and Nicco leaned in again to give her a little kiss on her forehead, then to her lids, down to her cheek, on the tip of her nose, and a chaste one on her lips.

"Matulog na tayo," sabi niya.

"Okay . . . " she said breathlessly.

But as soon as she caught up to her breathing, Francine claimed his lips once more.

"I love you."

He smiled. "Okay. I love you, too."

Another kiss followed again and then another as if they were trying to reclaim all the years they spent apart by filling them with kisses.

"Tama na," Nicco said with a smile still lingering on his lips. "Matulog na tayo. P'wede mo naman ako i-kiss ulit mamaya."

"Last one," sabi ni Francine. She quickly gave him a soft kiss before snuggling closer, curling up to his chest.

Nicco sealed the moment by tucking her in the blanket with him while Francine burrowed her face in the hollow corner of his neck, sniffing him in.

Nicco gently stroked his hand along her back so she could fall asleep easily.

"Tulog na."

"Yes." She smiled. Humigpit din ang yakap niya kay Nicco.

"Sleep ka na rin, Doc," malambing niyang sabi. "Good night, baby," Francine added as everything dimmed out.

***

She woke up past 3 o'clock in the afternoon with the sight of an empty space next to her.

She blinked a few times, trying to catch her senses and recalling everything that happened before she fell asleep.

We kissed and snuggled, and he told me he loves me. Hindi naman siguro panaginip'yon 'di ba? It really happened?