Not Cupid Fated

"So, how do Christmas Elves fall in love?"

Bernard frowned. The question—he 'd not been expecting that given previous Santa would avoid asking such personal questions, possibly because each of the previous Santa was from an era when culturally one didn't pry into the private lives of others, but then—

Scott was a modern Santa, and his Mrs. Clause was a modern Mrs. Clause. There 'd also been that clause that led to Scott finding his Mrs. Clause and a discussion with Cupid about how Cupid couldn't use his magic on another legendary.

So, he did have an idea of where the direction of the conversation would be going. "They fall in love just like everybody else."

"So, with the interference of Cupid?" Scott asked while Carol watched, having posed the original question, which made Bernard wonder if they'd been talking about the question together—which was fine, except it left him sort of backed into a corner and slightly perplexed even though he could speculate where the line of questioning started. There was a simple weirdness to it.

Bernard smiled, the corner of his mouth twisting up. "Well, not all humans fall in love with the help of Cupid, right?"

They looked at each other, meaning something else was going on.

Carol cleared her throat. "But Cupid could make a Christmas Elf fall in love, right? He could interfere on their behalf."

Bernard frowned. "Please tell me you do not want to have him interfere. You really shouldn't."

"I know. It's an abuse of power."

"Well, there's that," Bernard sighed, wondering even more where this was going.

"It's an abuse of power, right?" Carol said. "But that's not what we're getting at? I mean, isn't Cupid—how do his powers work? He's not forcing people to fall in love against their will, is he?"

"No," Bernard said, hands behind his back. "It's more like he intervenes in the fate of that person he shoots, that he tugs at that person's string of fate, so they end up finding the person they're fated to be with sooner than they are destined to."

"So, if he hadn't interfered for a certain Christmas Elf, then is it because that Christmas Elf isn't fated to ever meet someone?"

"Well," Bernard sighed. "While it is true, some aren't fated to meet someone, that's not necessarily why he's not interfered."

"And the other reasons?" Mrs. Clause asked.

Bernard started to relax. "Well, there are times he is meant to intervene and times he's not."

"And you can't know if that's the case or if it's because someone isn't fated to meet someone?'

Bernard frowned. "I'm not sure where this conversation is going, to be honest, but one can't know unless one asks him, and most people never meet him. So, it's—yes."

"And you've never thought of asking?"

"Scott!" Mrs. Clause sighed, shaking her head.

Bernard felt his cheeks turn a bright red. He opened his mouth. "Wait? This is about me?"

"He wasn't supposed to let you know it was about you," she said. "But I couldn't help but notice there aren't any other elves the same size as you, so I'm assuming there aren't other elves the same age as you here? Which Scott said was true."

"Oh," Bernard said. He didn't say aloud that made sense as he found the whole thing embarrassing. A bit too personal even.

"Have you thought to ask?" Scott said. "Like I did?"

"Oh," Bernard said. He reached a finger up to rub his nose. He felt his stomach clench, and then he looked at the ceiling. "How to put this...."

"If you're not interested," Carol said. "That's understandable. That's not—apologies if that's the case."

"No," Bernard said, clearing his throat. He lowered his eyes to the floor and twiddled his fingers behind his back. "It's not exactly something I've thought of much. I mean, there are a few times in the past I've thought it would be nice to find that someone, but...."

"But you've never asked?" Scott asked. "You could. I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"Except I can't," Bernard said, sighing. "And I just accepted that I may never meet them if there is someone I'm fated to be with."

Both of the Clauses looked at each other.

Bernard cleared his throat. "So, for some elves, Christmas or not, the rule that applies to legendary figures—it applies to us as well. Our magic can't work on each other, or at least to an extent. For example, I can use my teleportation magic to teleport anybody within, of course, my physical limits. But things like Cupid's arrows—our magic is simply too strong for things like that to work."

"Oh. That makes more sense," Mrs. Clause said. "That's why none of the previous Santa asked for you either?"

"Why would they," Bernard said, then closed his eyes.

"Because asking Cupid for the sake of a friend isn't an abuse of power," Santa said.

"Wait. Were you really," Bernard sighed.

"Well, it didn't make sense if someone had tried before or if you didn't want it," Santa said.

"Well, to let you know, most elves don't ask because if Cupid is meant to intervene, he will, and there is a strong belief he will," Bernard said. "But, yeah. I know he will never intervene because he can't." He tilted his head, thinking. "But it would be nice if I met someone one day."

"Well, I hope you do," Mrs. Clause said.