[CHAPTER 19] + Announcement

An ear-piercing roar echoed throughout the monster-filled apartment complex, everyone, monster or human, couldn't escape its deadly presence

An ear-piercing roar echoed throughout the monster-filled apartment complex, everyone, monster or human, couldn't escape its deadly presence. One chuckled maniacally as he watched from a distance as the remaining humans scrambled up the stairs for their survival.

"We aren't going to make it!" Hyun yelled as he kicked a monster off of his leg, "They're going to get us!"

"Don't give up hope just yet," Hyuk said monotonously.

"What are we supposed to do?" Wook asked as he punched a monster.

A wave of fear shot through the main group as they were slowly picked off one by one. Ihyun especially, considering he was the last surviving member of his criminal group.

"And what happened to (Y/N)?!" Hyun asked, "They disappeared after being hit by that bus, but they couldn't have died, right?"

Jisu growled before impaling a monster with her spiked bat. She was currently focused on attacking any nearby monsters, keeping the group safe. Hyun was helping her as the rest of the group ascended the complex.

Another roar is heard from the first floor of the apartment, making the entire group freeze-up for a few seconds. Every roar made the group realize how insignificant they really were; each roar made them feel like prey.

After a few seconds, they began climbing the stairs once again.

"What are you planning, Hyuk?" Wook questioned with sweat rolling down his face.

"I'm not planning anything," Hyuk responded, "We just have to keep on moving."

"And how do you think that'll help us?" Hyun growled, kicking another monster with his partially monsterized leg.

"I don't," Hyuk replied.

"Then why are we climbing these stairs?!" Hyun turned to face Hyuk with a rage-filled expression after the monsters chasing them had been pushed back.

"I don't know," Hyuk said.

Hyuk's eyes were a swirling void of a dull-grey, he'd been mysterious ever since the outbreak started, but this is the peak for the survivors. However, as much as they wanted to confront him about it, they were currently being chased by hundreds of monsters up a narrow stairwell.

Soon, the group had finally reached the rooftop. They kicked open the door and filtered out onto the roof, assuming a defensive position as they held their weapons tightly, facing the door that leads to the stairwell.

But no monsters came.

This confused the group, Ihyun and Hyun could sense that there were no monsters nearby, they didn't even need to use their phones.

All was silent, only the distant crackling of a fire, or the roar of a monster could be heard.

When all of a sudden, a huge flash shot up from the side of the complex and landed onto the roof, generating a massive shock-wave causing the group to stumble.

"What the hell is that?" Wook used his arm to cover his face from the wind.

As the dust cleared, a clear shape was shown to the survivors. A large monster, larger than even the protein monster. And in the most dangerous area of the complex, the roof.

However, Ihyun was able to tell who the monster was at just a glance, "B-Boss?"

The monster looked down at Ihyun, before swatting him like a bug. He was almost sent flying off of the roof, if not being caught by Hyun at the last second.

"You bastard!" Wook screamed out as he attempted to cut the monster with his sword. But it blocked the attack, and several tendrils shot out of its arm before wrapping themselves around the sword and breaking it.

"Wook... Pyeon!"

The monster was strong, it had high durability, and it could move at high speeds.

The group had lost all hope of winning.

Yuri, Eun, the kids, Jisu, Hyun, Hyuk, Wook, Ihyun and Byeong had all lost their hopes after one monster encounter.

This hopelessness was further spread when the monster let out a roar that could shook the entire building, causing the entire group to stiffen up with tears welling up in their eyes. None of them could even lift a finger up to the monster, it was too powerful for them to handle.

"I think," Hyun coughed as he slowly stood up, sweat dropped from his face. "I think I know what I need to do."

---

Thanks for reading Monster Hunter up to this point, next chapter is going to be the half-way point for the story as the first arc is cleared.

I just wanted to say, that from here and until the end of the book, the chapters will become more frequent and high quality. I may take the occasional break to figure things out, but I'll keep on writing this story. I hope the last 20 chapters can clean up the entire series.

Thanks for reading!