001.

—THE FATES WHISPERED IN HER SLEEP.

Lora heard the Fates whispering in her dreams.

They hissed in her ear, soon, soon, drawing out the word like a snake. They smiled wickedly at her, showing their sharp teeth. 

Don't be scared, they cooed, their voices dripping with honey. We will make this unforgettable for you, in every way.

Annabeth's voice woke her up from the nightmare.

"Lora!" she called, banging on the door.

"We need you."

"I'm coming," Lora replied and got out of bed.

She owed her life to the Fates, and Percy had convinced her to join the Argo II since she had the same destination as them: Rome. Lora put on a sweater and felt a surge of anxiety. You don't belong here, her mother said, her voice cold and distant.

Annabeth had stared at Lora in shock when she had first seen her. Lora could understand her reaction, especially since Annabeth had witnessed her death. Everyone was cautious around her, especially Leo.

Lora felt a pang in her chest. Gods, Leo. They used to be best friends in middle school and then Leo had gotten her kicked out of the school and ignored her, acting as if she had wronged him. If anyone, Lora should be mad, not him.

Or, he found out you're a murderer.

That was understandable. Lora could admit that she had never been wanted. She walked over to the lounge.

Annabeth gave her a friendly grin, while Leo pretended not to see her. Percy flashed her a smile and Hazel waved at her.

Leo was busy listing what he needed for the ship—tar, celestial bronze and lime.

"We need to hurry, Octavian's probably already searching for us," Lora blurted out, hoping to break the awkward silence.

Or maybe you just want to hurt Leo. Some people never change, do they? Her mother's voice echoed in her head.

Lora bit her lip and looked away. She hated how her mother could always make her feel guilty and worthless.

Pathetic. That's the word to describe you, her mother sneered.

"The Romans will send a strike force after us. It's a matter of honour." Hazel agreed, clutching her sword's hilt nervously.

Lora tuned out as they discussed their plans. Percy, Annabeth and Frank would get the tar, Piper, Jason and Coach Hedge would stay here to guard the ship, and Leo, Hazel and Lora would get the bronze and the lime. Wait, what?

"Oh, no. I can't go with Leonidas." Lora shook her head frantically.

"Leonidas?" Percy repeated, snickering.

"Didn't he tell you? That's his real name." Lora glared at Leo. He had gotten her expelled from school after all.

Percy turned to Leo for confirmation and Leo nodded reluctantly.

"Come on, Lora. It's not like you have a choice." Leo said, rolling his eyes. "We need to get the bronze and the lime before the Romans catch up with us." he mocked her previous words.

Lora crossed her arms and scowled. She didn't want to go anywhere with Leo. He was annoying, arrogant, and irresponsible. He had caused her so much trouble in the past, and she didn't trust him at all.

"Can't I go with someone else?" She asked, looking at the others for support.

You don't even deserve their hospitality. At least do what they say, her mother chided.