Chapter 7 - Don't Think Jesus

Memphis's POV
After having lunch at the Wallens' house, I go back to Morgan and Hardy's tour bus to help work on some songs for Morgan's album.

Right now, Morgan's reading my notebook to find a song that he likes.

"I like this one, Memphis." Morgan says with a smile. I frown.

"Which one is that?"

"Everything I Love. It seems like a decent heartbreak song. Who's it about?" Morgan asks with a smirk. I smile.

"It's about you. We may need to change some of the lyrics somewhat though. It sounds like a girl singin' about a guy," I say.

"I can change up the lyrics for ya," Hardy offers.

"Go to town," I mutter, handing my notebook to him.

Hardy clicks his pen and begins making all the necessary changes to my song in order for Morgan to sing it.

"Besides this one, do you have any other song ideas?" I ask. Morgan shrugs.

"I don't know. Maybe something that has to do with Jesus. About how Jesus still loves me even though I'm an absolute wreck," he suggests. I nod.

"That sounds good. Play some chords and see if you find the right tune for this song," I say as I begin thinking of lyrics.

Morgan strums some chords until he has a tune going and I silently listen to him play, my pen between my teeth.

When Morgan finally plays a tune I like, I instruct him to keep playing it. I write down the chords and begin writing the actual song itself.

"Hardy, tell me what you think," I say.

I hand Morgan my notebook and he starts strumming the chords. Hardy nods his head lightly to the music.

"Boy gets a guitar and starts writing songs about whiskey and women and getting too stoned. He got all three at the first show he played. Hometown said, 'I don't think Jesus done it that way.' Boy moves to city lives fast and goes hard. Starts chasing the devil through honky-tonk bars. Ignoring the voices in his head that say, 'I don't think Jesus done it that way.'"

"If I was Him, I'd say, 'To hell with you, ain't no helping you.'"

"'Find someone else to give Heaven to, I'm telling you.' I'd shame me, I'd blame me. I'd make me pay for my mistakes, but I don't think Jesus does it that way."

"Boy's all alone, got no one to turn to. He figures he'll pray, 'cause what else could he do?' He said, 'I wish You would've woke me up an easier way.' But I don't think Jesus done it that way."

"If I was Him, I'd say, 'To hell with you, I ain't helping you.'"

"'Find someone else to give Heaven to, I'm telling you.' I'd shame me, I'd blame me. I'd make me pay for my mistakes, but I don't think Jesus does it that way."

"World likes to rear back and throw a few stones, so boy wants to throw a few stones of his own. But Lord knows I ain't perfect, and it ain't my place. And I don't think Jesus done it that way. Are y'all sure that Jesus done it that way?"

When I finish singing, Morgan stops strumming his guitar and looks up at me.

"That was great, Memphis. Maybe you should sing it instead," Morgan says. I shake my head.

"No way. This song was meant for you. I want you to sing it for me and for your family, okay?" I say, grabbing Morgan's hand. Morgan nods.

"Okay. I'll sing it for ya,"