Untitled Part 1

THE CULT

"My memories of that morning are fuzzy at best" said Logan Traynor, I had taken some anti-depressants and felt half asleep" Sam Morales his State appointed lawyer interrupted. "Start at the beginning Logan" he said, "Go back as far as you think is prevalent to your case. The more details you give us, the more understanding we have of your case" Logan Traynor sat quietly for a moment taking in all of his surroundings and gathering his thoughts. "I presumed I was happy" he began, "Or maybe I was as they say burying my head in the sand." he paused and took a sip of water. "The signs were already there, but everyone has problems, right. Then began the phone calls where she would have to leave the room with no explanation when she returned. Two or three months earlier this would not have been an issue" "Where you suspicious of an affair? asked Laya Raybourne the much younger assistant to Morales. Logan Traynor sat back in his chair. Was this good Lawyer bad Lawyer, he wondered. After all he had pled guilty of all charges against him. "Not so much an affair" he answered, " more the awareness that things between us were just not right. I loved my wife and was convinced that at some stage she would tell me what was going on." "Did you suspect anyone in particular? asked Raybourne. "Did you fall asleep? retorted Logan, "I have just explained I had no suspicions of infidelity" "You are a serving Police Officer Logan" said Morales, "It is your job to be suspicious" "My wife and family were not my job" snapped Logan becoming agitated. "My suspicions were more concentrated on my wife's happiness. I was waiting for the right time to raise the subject when Jodi my twelve year old became unwell and all of my attention turned to her. She had suspected Meningitis spending eight days in Hospital having tests. In the end it was a Viral infection picked up from who knows where. But still requiring weeks of recovery" "And did the phone calls continue during this time? asked Morales. "Come to think of it they did not" answered Logan. "I recognize your situation" said Morales, "I have a twelve year old myself and the very thought of her being seriously ill I just could not comprehend" "When exactly was this in relationship to the incident? asked Raybourne. " "Around six months prior" answered Logan, taking another sip of water. He stalled for a moment moving his stare from Morales to Raybourne and back again. "Are you saying my wife was a whore? he shouted banging his fists on the table which brought an immediate response from the two officers standing at the back of the room. " Calm down Logan" said the short stalky one on his left hand side. "Calm down or it's back to the Cells for you" Logan done what he asked while hearing an apology from Morales over his line of questioning. But also with a reminder that facts were the answer to his case. "We are building a picture in our minds for your defence" he said, "And although you have pled guilty to all charges, circumstances can reduce the time you will spend in Prison" "I did have suspicions" said Logan, changing his story, "But outside of my job as a Police Officer I have very few friends and neither did my wife. We were a very integral family unit, our faith and beliefs gave us meaning" "Therefore" said Morales. "You are telling me that until the day that you walked into room 401 of the First & Last Hotel suspecting that your wife Jane was having sex with another man, you had no idea that the man in question was your father? "That would be correct" answered Logan Traynor. Morales decided it was time for a break and arranged to re-convene at twelve noon the following day. He left the interview room with his assistant Laya Raybourne and opened the first door on the right where Detectives Crossman and Bouvard had been watching proceedings by way of a two way mirror. " he is a strange one don't you think? asked Bouvard, pulling out two chairs from under a table for the Lawyers to be seated. "His change of mood was concerning" said Morales, "Are there psychiatric reports? "He does not need a psychiatrist" answered Crossman, "The change in moods are a way of life to him. I would suggest you visit his home. "He lives on a Trailer Park on the outskirts of the City. Take the 505 to Junction 8. Four miles in you will come to a set of large gates. There will be a black car parked on your left and a white car parked on your right side. It is a commune known as The Faith of Contradiction where Logan's father was the Cult leader. I will tell you no more except to choose your questions carefully. These are strange people"