Untitled Part 7

Shock Waves

George Morales knew that the implications, if the evidence they had gathered was correct, could send shock waves through the Colorado Legal System. On one hand you had a Police Officer being, (he was now convinced) falsely accused of a double murder. A double murder almost certainly committed by his accusers. The missing piece of the puzzle was motive, and the motive in the eyes of George Morales was buried much higher up the food chain. And he knew exactly where. Logan Traynor had removed himself into complete silence playing on every American's right to plead the Fifth Amendment. The Trial was only seven days away and he still had no contact with the arresting Officers or more importantly the Public Prosecutor. But then why would they reach out when the accused man pleads guilty saying that he knew who was in the bed and he shot them both at point blank range. In George Morales mind there were still some unanswered questions. One, what was Logan Traynor told was going on at the First & Last Hotel on that fateful day to make him rush over there. Did he know that his wife was there or was there some other reason? Secondly, Forensics had told him that the bullets that were pumped into Jane and Elijah Traynor were indeed from Logan's gun, but there were no fingerprints what so ever to be found. Therefor how could the prosecution be sure that it was Logan's? Thirdly, Jane Traynor was meeting this mysterious man whom Morales was convinced he could identify. But why the first meeting and why did it continue? Fourthly, what story was used to lure Elijah to the Hotel. It would have to have been very believable and very important. He began by asking questions at the Church of Conidiation. What if any routines did he have. More especially on a Thursday, and what he discovered gave him food for thought. Next a face time meeting with the guest staying across the hallway in room 404 on the 10th of July. The request for face time was due to him residing in Seattle. What he told Morales completely contradicted the evidence of both arresting officers. While Morales was looking for an alternative story Laya Raybourne was looking into BBF. Civil Engineering and what she found was the final piece of the puzzle
The Trial began at 10am on the 4th of September Judge Horace Brooks presiding. A fair man whom Morales knew would listen to any argument in order to achieve the correct outcome. On the first day the Jury were sworn in six men and seven women all of mixed race. Day two and Byron Crumb the District Attorney for Boulder who had decided to prosecute the case himself, "Probably" thought Morales because he was up for re -election in six months time. He first addressed the Jury. "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury" he began, "I am sure that the case you are about to hear will not encroach to much on your precious time. In all of my twenty five years as a Public Prosecutor I have never seen such an open and closed case. You will hear that Jane Traynor the wife of the accused was a promiscuous young woman with a string of lovers to her name. On the day in question she had arranged to meet with none other than her own Father-in-law for a sexual encounter at the First & Last Hotel. You will hear that Jane Traynor had arranged for someone to book and pay for the room before proceeding to the fourth floor where this person as yet unknown unlocked the fire escape entrance allowing the lovebirds to enter. Logan Traynor on receiving an anonymous phone call made his way to the Hotel and as those before him, entered by the Fire Escape Door and made his way to room number 401. Where-upon he entered the said room and without hesitation he shot and killed his wife and father. Two Detectives after being  notified of what sounded like gun fire coming from the fourth floor of the Hotel were first on the scene. They entered the room guns drawn. Logan Traynor was slumped over the bed sobbing and repeating over and over again, "I killed them, I killed them" He has since given a written statement to the Police and pled guilty to all charges. For my first witness I call Detective Marti Bouvard to the stand.  Detective Bouvard can you in your own words describe what happened on the 10 July. Bouvard swore the oath and began to speak. "Myself and my partner were cruising the area in search of a known criminal Cole Davis who had only six days previous been released from a ten year sentence for attempted murder and was now saught for questioning in the case of a young woman and her two children who were brutally killed during a night time robbery at their home. Our information was that he had been seen in the area. Therefor when the call came through from the desk we were convinced it was him. However we could not have been prepared for what we found, one of our own had shot and killed two of his own family" "Are you able to identify the assailant in this Court room? asked Byron Crumb. "Yes I can" said the detective, and he pointed straight at Logan Traynor "No more questions your Honour" said the Prosecutor and took his seat. "Mr Morales, it is your turn to cross-examine" said the Judge. "I have no questions at this time you're Honour" said Morales, "But I would reserve the right to recall this witness at a later date? "Objection your Honour" shouted Byron Crumb. "Overruled" replied Judge Brooks, "Now call your next witness" Byron Crumb called Detective Chris Crossman to the stand, and he was duly sworn in. "Please tell the Court in your own words the sequence of events relating to the 10 0f July this year" said Crumb. "Myself and Detective Bouvard arrived at the First & Last Hotel following a report that shots had been fired. We decided to try a rear entrance as not to scare the guests. We discovered that the Fire Escape door to level four was slightly opened, we surmised from people running out. We made our way through the corridor telling guests to stay in their rooms, everything seemed under control. We entered the room to find as my partner has said Logan Traynor slumped over who we now know to be his wife and father. I think of myself as a hardened Detective but my heart went out to my colleague as he had previously at the station mentioned that he was worried about his wife's behaviour. I reached out and took the gun from his hand before handcuffing him and reading him his rights. At the Station Detective Bouvard and I related what had happened to Chief O'Reilly and told him how regretful we were of what had taken place" "No more Questions" said Crumb. "No questions at this time" said Morales, "But" "I know, I know" shouted Judge Brooks interrupting. Byron Crumb called Doctor Rubin Romansky to the stand. His only question, "Were the bullets found in the bodies from Logan Traynor's gun? Romansky answered "Yes" "Ok" said The Judge, "You can call him later if you wish. Before Morales had a chance to speak. "The prosecution case rests your Honour" said Byron Crumb.