prologue.

"EVIE, HONEY, CAN YOU PUT CAMILA TO BED?" Maria Rivera yelled to her eldest daughter from the study

"EVIE, HONEY, CAN YOU PUT CAMILA TO BED?" Maria Rivera yelled to her eldest daughter from the study. "Okay mamá," Evie yelled back as she placed the remainder of the laundry in the washer and turned it on.

Evie grabbed her homework off of the countertop and headed out of the kitchen careful to close the door behind her; she hated when people left doors open, she got that habit from her mother.

"Ready for bed?" she asked her younger sister as she approached her at the bottom of the stairs.

"Where's mamá?" the four-year-old asked.

Evie let out a breathy laugh as she picked her sister up and placed her on her left hip. "She's still working baby, I'm sorry."

"Still?" she asked and Evie nodded.

When the two reached the top of the spiral stairs Evie turned left and walked down the long, empty corridor to Cami's room. A four-year-old with the entire west wing to herself, a fact that never failed to make Evie laugh when she thought about it.

She placed the pieces of paper in her mouth and opened the door with her now available right hand before switching on the light and allowing brightness to fill up the room.

She then placed her sister on the ground where she made her way to her bed while Evie placed the paperwork from her mouth onto one of Cami's dressers.

When she turned around to face her sister again smiled at the sight of Cami snuggling into her bed already half asleep. She was already growing out of the bed that Maria had not long brought her but she refused to allow her mother to get her a bigger one. She was too young to realise that she could still have a canopy over a bigger bed.

"Lights on or off?" Evie asked despite already knowing the answer.

"Leave them on, Ev," Cami demanded. She was still afraid of the dark, something Evie was sure she would grow out of as she had. She was the kind of kid who left lights on even when it was bright outside and all of the windows were open, something her big sister would often remind her she was fortunate to be able to do, 'You're a lucky kid Cami, you must never forget that,' she would tell her.

"Goodnight, Cami," Evie said as she pulled up the comforter.

"Night Ev," Cami mumbled as she shuffled around the bed feeling around for something before quickly shooting up, nearly headbutting her sister in the process.

Evie furrowed her brows at the movement, "What's wrong?"

"Where's 'Lulah?" she asked as her eyes searched the room.

What? "Where's what?"

"Tallulah. She's not here," Cami said.

Evie wondered for a moment, racking her brain for what her sister could be talking about and then she remembered. She was clearly more tired than she had realised because she had somehow forgotten about that stupid white leopard Cami had been carrying around with her since she was eight months old.