five. crash and burn

WHEN OLIVIA ARRIVED BACK TO HER APARTMENT AND AMANDA WAS GONE the first thing she did was call her team

WHEN OLIVIA ARRIVED BACK TO HER APARTMENT AND AMANDA WAS GONE the first thing she did was call her team. Evie was the first to arrive at Olivia's place since she was in her car when Olivia called but it didn't take long for the rest of them to follow suit.

As Abby and Evie were looking for fingerprints Olivia entered the living room. "Answers, people. We need answers, and time is of the essence."

"Her phone's gone. And her purse. She ran away. You told her she was gonna have to go on TV, she freaked out, and she ran away," Quinn presumed.

"I gotta say, as crime scenes go, it's pretty clean. No broken locks, no signs of struggle, and I'm not finding any prints aside from yours and Amanda's."

"Because it's not a crime scene. Because she ran away," Quinn repeated.

"There's someone watching you," Huck said from the window.

Olivia turned in her seat. "What?"

"Your trash is gone, and it's not trash day, and there's a sedan parked across the street," Everyone quickly rushed to the windows to see what he was talking about. "U.S. government plates, tinted windows."

"What about Amanda, Huck?"

"Whoever it was came up through the service elevator, picked the lock on the back door, sedated her, taped her up, got her in a duffel bag. In and out, probably seven minutes, six if they were quick."

"How do you know?" Olivia shakily asked.

"That's how I would do it."

Evie let out a dry laugh, "Oh, okay."

꧁꧁꧁

"WELCOME EVERYONE. This is the preliminary C.V.R. meeting of all interested parties to Sky National Flight 684. This morning, I'll play the black box recording in its entirety without stopping. You'll hear it once and once only. The national transportation safety board prohibits you from recording what you're about to hear. You are allowed to take notes, but you are prohibited from taking those notes from this room. Any questions?"

Nobody uttered a word so the official pressed play on the tape. Olivia, Evie, Harrison, Stephen and Abby listened intently as the final moments before the crash was played out in front of them.

꧁꧁꧁

EVIE, HARRISON, STEPHEN AND ABBY gathered around the conference table to try to figure out the tape from the notes that they had while Olivia watched from afar likely worrying about Amanda Tanner.

"No, there was a loud bang and the captain was saying 'Hold on'," Stephen insisted though both Evie and Abby remembered it differently.

"No, that was the first officer," Abby said

"Fine. But I can't remember if he said it before or after the two thumps."