Three

Detention goes quicker than expected, although that could have been because I decided to read instead of just sitting there like last time. Yes, I have had detentions before. Despite how uncomfortable I felt being the only female in a room that stunk of testosterone, I tried to loose myself in my book and eventually did. The boys paid no attention to me, shocker, apart from a few sideways glances from Drew, why did he keep looking at me?

I countdown the last few seconds before 4 'o' clock hit. I always do this at the end of lessons, and every time part of me hopes that everyone would jump up and sing like in High School Musical. It never happens.

I sigh and closed my book before packing it into my bag, standing up and stretching after an hour of being still. Just as I am walking out the room I heard him call out.

"Hey, Princess!"

I turn around and he is already striding towards me, casually throwing his bag over his shoulder.

"Friday. 8 'o' clock. My place. You know where it is, right? Don't be late."

Is... Is Jay O'Conner asking me round his house?

"W-why?" I stutter, darting my eyes around the room so I didn't have to look at his perfect blue ones.

"Um, chemistry? Tutoring? I haven't got the wrong girl have I? All you nerds kinda blur into one, you all have that... Face."

I feel my stomach drop immediately after the words left his mouth. Why do I let little things like this get to me? Why did I think I actually meant something to Jay O'Connor? I can't believe for a moment I thought he was actually asking me out, God, I'm so stupid.

"Yeah, yeah sure. Thanks." I begin to walk away, but I turn my head around at the last minute.

"Just to make sure, you're Jay right? Or are you Drew... I can't seem to remember, all you douchy fuckboys seem to blur into one."

I smirk to myself as I walk away. My comment definitely won't have effected him as much as his effected me, but hopefully it gave a little semi-permanent dent to his overflowing ego.

•••

Considering my detention was short notice, I can't drive and I haven't told my mom yet, I have to opt for walking home. My house is only a few blocks from the school, heck, my house is also only a few blocks from anywhere in this small town. I have been born and raised in the small town of "Goldsburg" in San Fransisco, just outside of Santa Cruz. It's filled to the brim with small bakery's and hairdressers and home wear stores, the perfect little town for settling down with a family.

As lovely as it is, sometimes I just feel trapped... Like I need to escape and explore the real world and real culture, not some faux "happy families" land.

I reach the all too familiar drive way and smile at my home. The driveway is concrete but stocked up with potted plants and lawn ornaments my Mother cherishes. Our old mocha coloured VW camper van sits in the far right hand side, just outside our double garage. Our beige house isn't too big but isn't too small either. Large white bay windows cover the majority of the three story home. Inside are 4 bedrooms, one for me, my parents, my brother, Finn, and guests. 3 bathrooms, one for me and Finn, one for my parents and one downstairs.

"Mom! I'm home!" I call out to the presumably empty household. No response. Okay, definitely empty household. I reach for my phone to call my mom and ask where the hell she is.

•••

Back pockets? Check. Front pockets? Check. All seven compartments of my bag? Check. Where the hell is my phone? I've misplaced it. Again. I retrace my steps to when I last remember holding it. In the nurses office I put it in my back pocket, I got it out again in.. Detention! I got it out to look at the date so I could sign in to frickin' detention. I'm lost without my phone... It has my History notes on it!