1NE.

COLLEGE ORIENTATION

"Where do you want this, sweet pea?" My dad asks, walking into the room with a box.

"You can sit it over there," I point over to a corner by my bed, "Thank you."

"I think that's everything." He says once sitting the box down. I look around and see boxes everywhere.

"Can't wait to unpack everything." I say with fake enthusiasm causing my dad to laugh.

He walks over and wraps his arms around me in a
secure hug and kisses my head, "You ready?"

"I don't think so." I hug him back and try to laugh away the tears I felt coming, "I'm gonna miss you."

"I'm gonna miss you too," He rubs my shoulder soothingly, "but i'm only a phone call away. I'll be down to visit sometimes and you'll come visit me. And do me a favor: Be more outspoken? Talk to people, make friends and put yourself out there more, ok?"

"We'll see." I laugh a little and a knock causes me and my dad to turn around.

"Hi, i'm Nora, are you in this room?"

"Yea," I get out of my fathers grip and walk over to meet her at the door and extend my hand, "I'm Kennedy."

"Nice to meet you. Your hair is cute." She compliments with a smile.

"Thank you. I took that bed, if you don't mind." I move to the side realizing i'm standing in her way.

"No, that's fine." She walks in and gives a cordial wave to my dad. He waves back.

"Alright sweet pea, I think it's time for me to get out of your hair. You have a orientation today, right?"

"Yea, let me walk you out."

"You don't have to."

"I want to," I turn around and face Nora, "Are you a freshman?" She nods her head along with a hum.

"Do you have anyone you plan on going to the orientation with?"

"Nope."

"Do you wanna meet me downstairs in ten?"

"Sure." She says excitedly.

"Cool," I turn back towards my dad and link our arms, "Let's go before I decide to move you in next door."

- - ✥ - -

"I'll call every weekend and come visit every holiday, including your birthday."

"Ok," He chuckles as he brings me into another hug, "Enjoy it here."

I tried to hold it together but I broke, "Dad, I can't. I'm not ready yet, i'm not."

"Stop, munch. You'll be ok, I promise, you will."

"No, i'm not ready to leave you yet."

"Listen," He pulls out of the hug and cups my face in his hands and wipe the tears that had fallen, "I know it's gonna be scary at first and you're probably gonna want to pack it up and come home. Whether cause it's stress or you're homesick, you have to try and see it through. You're a strong, young woman that can handle anything, so I know you can handle this, ok?"

He looks at me and I nod, "Good," He kisses my head, "I love you."

"I love you too. I'll call this weekend."

"Ok." He laughs a little and gets in his car. I watch him back out and drive off.

I take a deep breath and try to recollect myself and go wait for Nora in the lobby of our dorm building.

As I was walking back towards the building, someone crashes into me.

"Damn, watch where you're going."

"You definitely crashed into me."

"Yea, whatever."

"You don't gotta be an ass, man," I hear someone tell him, "You ok?"

"Yea, I'm good." I say before walking off.

I get to the lobby and see Nora sitting in one of the chairs on her phone.

"Hey." I greeted, approaching her.

"Oh, hey. I know I'm early, I just thought I'd wait for you down here."

"That's cool, you ready to go?"

"Yea." She stands up and puts her phone in a little handbag purse.

The orientation was in a huge ass theater with hundreds of seats. Me and Nora sit in the middle section towards the end of the row.

"Are you excited?" She asks and turns to face me.

"A little. I think I'm more nervous than anything." I say truthfully.

"I feel you. Coming to a new school, let alone, a new state by yourself can be intimidating. Speaking for myself. Are you from here?"

"No, I'm from Michigan so I feel where you're coming from."

"You're from Michigan?" She asks and I nod in confirmation, "I got some family from that way. What city you from?"

"Detroit."

"That's crazy, I got family from there."

"Small world."

"Definitely is."

As more and more kids file in, the more packed the room gets. I eventually see someone that looks like they could be admin or something walk in and take a seat on the edge of the stage.

"What time does this start?"

"Four."

The person sitting on stage clips on a mic and starts to tap and talk into it, getting everyone's attention.

"Hello everyone, I'm Elizabeth Scott and i'm the dean of-"

She was cut off by the theater doors opening and a group of boys walking in loudly. I recognized them from earlier.

Me and the one that asked if I was ok made eye contact as they walked past and sat a few rows behind me and Nora.

"As I was saying," She continued, "I'm Elizabeth Scott and I am the dean of this University. I will just be running by a few things about how this school year will look like for most of you and some advice, tips and pointer for all of you."

- - ✥ - -

"Are there any particular scents you don't like?" I ask Nora before taking out my wax warmer.

"No, I was just about to ask you that same question. You cool with incense?"

"Yea, what kind of incense do you buy?"

I hear her laugh to herself and hold up a pack of them. I laugh as well and hold up the same kind.

"Good to know."

- - ✥ - -

first chapterrrrr

words: 1012