Chapter Two: A Simple Plan

The next day

"Dad?" Emma Ko called down the hall, breakfast tray in hand. "Are you awake?"

She walked a few steps, then paused to look at the family pictures on the wall. One was taken when she was 10 and Ryan was 14, when they'd first moved to San Jose. Her hair was in a cheap perm, held with a brightly colored bow. He had braces. Her father stood tall and regal, her mother kindly and small.

The next picture was of Ryan's family; he had married two years ago to a woman in his investment-banking firm. She was a ball of energetic laughter, which complimented his quiet demeanor. Their first child, Caitlin, was born one year ago, and Rachel was now pregnant with their second. Emma hoped to be there in Chicago when her next niece or nephew was born.

To the left of the family picture was a shot of Emma at her college commencement. She remembered that day, how the New York sun beat down so hard she feared her graduation cap would catch on fire, how she nearly fell asleep during the speech. And how her friends surprised her with an acapella serenade and news that they'd be spending time in New York.

But in this photo, she stood alone, grinning under an armload of flowers. She knew her parents were waiting to replace that picture with another – one that more closely resembled Ryan's.

Emma loved being home. Despite the nagging and round-robin arguments, it was a welcome break from touring with the group and flying around for her own writing assignments. She could bear it, just for home cooking and some quality time with the family.

And, though she wouldn't admit it to her parents, she also secretly wondered when the photo beside her family would show her family: J.C. and two, perhaps three, children, all smiling.

With the announcement of the new album, Emma was resigned to a long wait. She knew what came next: promotions, appearances and worst of all, another tour. She didn't dare tell her parents yet, setting off another argument. She'd lain awake worrying, but by morning decided she could handle it.

Emma shook her head and smiled. She pattered down to the door and pushed it slightly ajar. A middle-aged man lay comfortably on the pillows, yawning. He opened his eyes and saw his daughter.

"Emma," he said, seeing the tray. "What are you doing?"

"Bringing you breakfast," she answered, entering the room and setting the tray in front of him. "Good morning, Dad."

"You should come home more often," Stephen Ko joked to his daughter. "What is this, anyway? I'm not an invalid."

"You've been overexerting yourself," she scolded. "Mom says you need to take it easy."

"Your mother always worries," he replied, sitting up and surveying the food in front of him. "You'll make a good wife," he proclaimed. "Does J.C. like Korean food?"

"Can't get enough of it," she laughed.

"He'll be very happy, then," he said, sipping his tea. After a pause, he eyed his daughter. "Emma ..."

"Don't say it, Dad," she answered, wariness taking over her face. "We already went through it last night ..."

He raised a hand. "I know," he said. "I just want to say one more thing."

Emma bit her lip and waited.

"When you get married," her father said. "Make sure it's not because he was nagged into it. Make sure it's what he wants. If he doesn't want it enough, you're with the wrong man."

She sighed.

"Don't get me wrong," he continued, putting a hand over hers. "I like J.C. He is a good man. I was skeptical at first because he wasn't Korean and he was in this show business and he's chased by all these girls. But he is solid and has good values for my daughter."