Ch. 27: No More Dogfights Please

"Here's a twist," Ratchet said as he turned away from the monitors. "It would appear that the Decepticons have retreated from Manhattan."

"They just… up and left?" Arcee asked, confused.

Paige frowned as she leaned against the railing, not liking the sound of that. "Maybe they had the same thoughts, and are spreading out their own troops to each location."

"I agree," Optimus nodded. "Megatron may have already set a course for the second set of coordinates, having dispatched a unit to this relic's underground location."

"Without busting up a city block to get to it?" Arcee asked, skeptical.

"They'll use subway tunnels," Jack spoke up, gaining their attention. "New York has a whole network of them running beneath the city."

"Since the human population seems to no longer be directly threatened, maintaining our disguise will be necessary." Optimus turned towards his team. "Arcee, Bumblebee, you are the best choices to navigate through such a densely populated area."

"Optimus!" Jack raised his hand to interject. "New York has more than eight million people. The odds of being spotted by at least one of them are pretty high, even if they are hidden underground."

"Where are you going with this?" Arcee asked.

"You're gonna need a faceman, or someone who can speak on their behalf. A human who can run interference if their cover gets blown."

"Well, I've actually been inside subway stations," Miko piped up, stepping forward. "I grew up in a major metropolis, unlike mister 'I've never been outside Jasper, Nevada'." She then crossed her arms. Paige elbowed her with a small frown, earning her a raspberry from the girl.

"Agent Fowler's experience makes him our best candidate." Optimus turned towards the other catwalk, where the human in question was set up on a gurney. And the man babbled something unintelligible.

"If he weren't still recovering from his encounter with the Decepticon warship," Ratchet informed him.

"Which we survived," Miko chirped, pointing a thumb to herself as she leaned against Paige, who stumbled slightly and grunted as she regained her balance. "Without incident?"

Optimus glanced at them and seemed to reluctantly relent to the arrangement. "Very well. Miko and Jack will accompany Arcee and Bumblebee." While the two bots exchanged a glance and Miko cheered, Optimus turned to Ratchet. "Initiate transport and triangulate coordinates of the other three relics."

Paige shoved her friend playfully with a small smirk. "Be careful out there, danger-hound. New York doesn't know it's about to have a wild child walking its tunnels," she teased.

Miko scoffed and rolled her eyes half-heartedly as she waved her hand dismissively. "Puh-lease. Danger should be careful of me." She then turned and followed Jack down the stairs to join their chosen companions.

Paige shook her head in amusement. She watched the bots transform and Jack mounted Arcee while Miko got into Bumblebee's driver seat before driving through the portal. Next, it was Bulkhead and Swiftblade's turn. "Come back safe, you two," she told them. They nodded, with Swiftblade giving her a fond tap on the head, before running through the portal.

"Rafael, lock onto the remaining coordinates," Optimus told the boy, who was seated at the human computers. "I will embark for the Antarctic." He then turned to Ratchet while Raf typed in the coordinates. "As for you, old friend, I would prefer that you have company on your mission."

"No one is left to join me, Optimus." Ratchet looked around as if to confirm his words. "Even if Agent Fowler were alert, he's human…"

"I'll join you!" Paige raised her hand with a smile, a determined gleam in her green eyes.