Chapter 2

I can remember hiding under the sink, the words 'Sodium Trideceth Surface' reflecting in my eyes from a faded label. It's how I learned to read, skimming chemical bottles while my dad threw a drunken rage. I never remembered why he would be so mean towards my 10 year old self. I only remember that it was always my fault and I deserved it. Of course I now realize that is not true, But I still feel like I need some physical pain in my life if I do something wrong. Without it things just are not the same, It's scary how easy it is to mess up your child. I remember how it all started, one day mom just didn't come home, of course we worried but no one panicked until we got that devastating phone call. My dad never put the bottle down after that. He was a good father until he got drunk and brought out the belt, maybe that's why it took me so long to do anything about it, because in the pit of my stomach I still knew him as my dad, the man who had played baseball with me and helped me flush my first gold fish. Now I see him as a monster, he will never be my father. It was my 12th birthday when I ran away and never looked back.
"Oliver!" I herd someone snap. I looked up clearly startled as her voice brought me from my thoughts. It was Vanessa, my first real friend, a small blonde with piercing eyes and an attitude to match. Thankfully for me she was also caring.
"Hey" I responded feeling my cheeks flush for being so lost in thought. It seemed she had said my name quite a few times from the way she impatiently tapped her foot.
"Sorry what?" I asked realizing she had also asked me a question. The blonde rolled her eyes impatiently and took the cigarette from my lips putting it between her own pinkish ones
"Oh" I said realizing she had asked for one, and I had neglected giving one.
"You've got my attention now" I said as a pulled out another cigarette lighting it under my palm.
"Did you forget?" Vanessa asked me with a slightly sharp tone. Oh dammit, I had totally forgotten today was the day I had promised we would head down to the lake.
"Of course not" I lied "My truck is right around the corner" I said getting up off the bench pushing the lighter that was settled between my fingers back into my pocket and headed off. Little did I know it was the worst day possible to pick going to the lake.