Back Home

(You better play Memory of the Lost for this little flashback)

A small girl with white hair and brown eyes sat on the lap of her father as he went through an old album. Its pages show signs of decoloration and the cover already peeling off.

One could tell that it was an item used almost daily.

The small child once asked her father about the outside world that supposedly had tall places called towers, ones where they lived high in the sky, unlike the subterranean structures they inhabit now.

Among the many places he told her about, she was the most curious about the 'Park' which her parents met.

"Apa, does it look like this?" The girl looked up at her dad with shining eyes.

"Nyeh...it probably looks like shit now." Her father wasn't one to beat around the bush...

"Oh!" The little girl's eyes widened and she covered her mouth as if she couldn't believe what he said.

"Heh!" Although another older child with the same characteristics as the girl giggled not far away, reading another book.

*thwop*

A small rolled-up towel hit the man's head from the kitchen as his wife glared at him. "Luna is just a CHILD!"

"The girl will be hearing them somewhere sometime, better be from a reliable source." The father excused himself with a smile but his face straightened once he saw the unimpressed face of his wife.

"Ehem!" The boy's grin also disappeared when his mother's stare landed on him.

"But that's bad!" Luna exclaimed as she realized that the place her parents met might be gone, her big ol' eyes watering.

Her father smiled, "Luna, do you see who is in the picture?"

"Umu," she nodded before pointing at the picture of a couple sitting together with a big tree behind them, "Papa and Mama!"

"Exactly." her dad pointed at the picture just like her. His rough hand filled with callouses from working on the farms was right beside Luna's, her pristine and tender hand looked minuscule compared to it. "That is what matters, there were many parks out there, and trees were everywhere, but-" the man looked at his wife and winked- "of your mother, there was only one."

The woman snorted but failed to fight off the smile growing on her face.

Luna felt a rough but warm hand pat her head, "What matters is the moment, the memory that I share with your mother, so what if the park isn't there anymore? My wife is right here, you and your brother are here. I'd say that we are much happier now than we were in that photo."

"Do you get it?" He asked his daughter.

"... I don't know."

"Hm... Do you know what a home is?"

"Oh, they taught us that! It's a place where a family lives!" Her eyes lit up.

"Wrooooong." He pinched her cheek.

"Owie!"

"Not a place. It's where the family lives."

"That makes no sense!!" She cried.

Her father chuckled. "Oh well, you will get it eventually. It's important for you to know that a building doesn't make a home, I, your mother, your brother," his finger poked her little chest, " and you do."

*Growl...* And right at that moment, Luna's stomach made its hunger known.

"But I guess what's important right now is this!" His finger poked her belly and caused her to giggle.