Chapter 43

Julian had finally convinced Avery to spend spring break at his house with him and his family. All their friends were going to New York, and Julian had thought Avery might have wanted to. He knew that she and her father had been there and she had spoken of going back, but for some reason she had quickly shut it down when Chelsey and Nikki tried to convince her to go. Secretly, Julian was glad as he heard that Archer was going with them.

Apparently, Nikki had wanted tickets to a Knicks game and Archer had scored them for her. To thank him, she invited him on the trip. Emmet had tagged along as well. Something that Cole was upset about. He had promptly decided to spend his spring break back home. Brady was annoyed Archer had come, but Chelsey quickly scolded him for it. So, the six of them had gone, but according to Avery, all she wanted to do was relax. Avery had encouraged him to go with their friends to New York, but Julian wanted to be with her. Whether they had fun or did nothing at all. He just wanted to spend his break with her.

Julian knew Avery felt uncomfortable spending the break with his family though. She felt guilty about intruding on yet another school break, and after his mom and brother spending so much time at the hospital keeping her company, Avery didn't want to bother them again. Julian had quickly told his mom to call her and tell her she was welcome to come. Something his mother did happily as she absolutely loved Avery.

So, after packing a week's worth of clothes, they were on their way to his home. Avery looked nervous to be in the car again, Julian was watching her carefully through tiny glances here and there as he drove.

Avery had a notebook in her lap and seemed to be scribbling away working on something. Her eyebrows were furrowed and she looked a bit distressed. He tried to distract her.

"Mickey has been asking to go to the aquarium," Julian said. In truth, he had actually planned something for Avery at the aquarium, but he didn't want to spoil the surprise.

Avery looked up from her notebook and over at him. She smiled a bit. "Sounds like a plan to me," she replied. Avery then looked back at her notes and up at the road. "Too close," she murmured, her eyebrows furrowing again. "You need to be three seconds behind the car in front in order to react and stop in time if they suddenly stop."

Julian looked at her funny, but when she pointed to her notebook, he slowed down. Julian knew well enough not to question the legitimacy of Avery's math calculations. His slowed speed seemed to calm her down and she relaxed into the seat.

"You know we could spend part of the break getting you to drive again," he offered gently and careful not to push her too far.

Avery seemed not to like that idea. She shook her head at once. "I'm never driving again."

"Okay," he said slowly. "But just explain to me what the difference is between you sitting in the passenger seat with me and you driving yourself."

"Easy, I trust you," she said. "Only you, by the way, I tried to get in the car with Chelsey when she took Nikki shopping the other day but I couldn't. I don't even trust myself, and then there's everyone else on the road."

Julian was confused by that.

"I understand not trusting others, but you don't trust yourself?" Julian asked.

Avery sighed, the topic seemed to upset her. "I don't seem to always have sound judgment, my past choices are pretty indicative of that."

Julian felt bad for her. He could understand why she felt that way, but that didn't mean he wanted her to believe that. "Hey, you haven't always made bad choices, dating me was a good one, right?" he pointed out.

Avery smiled. "Yeah, that is one thing I got right."

Julian took her hand and held it for the rest of the drive there. It made Avery stop scribbling away in her notebook When they arrived, Mickey practically ran out the door to meet them.