The Cruelty of Black

"It seems you were right, Winona," I scowled at my bright-eyed therapist who seemed to light up at my words. She scooted to the edge of her seat patiently waiting for me to continue. I hated telling her she was right. It meant this stupid therapy thing actually had some value. I mean, I had always thought it was for sad people who had nothing better to do with their time, but it seemed to be proving itself rather useful in helping me decipher the reasoning behind people's actions... something I oftentimes found difficult to comprehend. "That boy I told you about, it seems I do make him feel inferior." 

   She immediately straightened her back and smiled at me. 

   "And how does that make you feel?" Winona questioned, scribbling things into her notebook. 

   How did it make me feel?

   "Well, if I'm being honest," I turned from my position on my back to one shoulder, facing her with my head propped up against my hand. "I feel seen."

   "That's amazing, Farrah. We all want to be seen for who we truly are," she said. "What is it about him that makes you feel seen?"

   "I think it's the fact if there is anyone in this school who should not feel intimidated by me, it's him. Yet, he is intimidated. He can handle me... and I mean the real me." Merlin, I sounded insufferable. This whole emotion thing was revolting. I should have just kept my mouth shut because the way Winona was smiling at me made me want to hurl. I was not this person. I did not share emotions... it felt bizarre. It felt too personal. And I did not do personal. 

   "Why is that?"

   "Because I think he's just as bad as I am." 

   Winona stopped scribbling in her notebook and looked at me. Her sympathetic stare made me regret my words in an instant. "Do you think you're a bad person, Farrah?"

   Yup, ew, way too personal. 

   "Or maybe I just want to have sex with him," I smirked at the therapist who grew red in the face. As the clock chimed, I stood from my seat, "Well would you look at that, time is up."

~~~

   Proceeding with my plans, I decided transfiguration that day would be about more than just manipulating form. It would be about manipulating Orion as well. 

   "Hi Orion," I smiled so sweetly at him that I almost gave myself a toothache. His eyes lit up at the sight of me and he immediately sat up a little straighter. I was not oblivious to the fact that he was sporting what seemed like a new watch as well as a freshly styled hairdo. Nor was I oblivious that it was likely to impress me. Maintaining my smile while ignoring Riddle's gaze, I took an empty seat next to where Lestrange sat only yesterday. "I like your watch, Orion."

   "Oh, this old thing?" Orion shook his head in a casual manner, but I could see the delight in his eyes that I had noticed his efforts.

   "Yes, that old thing," I forced a laugh. Then, looking at the empty seat beside me, as innocently as possible I asked, "Is Aaemon not coming to class today?"  

   "He uh..." Orion paused to think of an explanation other than the fact his penis had been shrunk for about a year or so. "He isn't feeling well."

   "Oh," I frowned. "I guess I should move then since I don't have a partner." I went to collect my things. 

   "No," Orion immediately said. "I'll be your partner." Stopping in my tracks, I looked at him. As did Tom, who watched with an annoyed glare, his partner stand up from his seat and make his way to the one next to me. "If you don't mind," he added with a sheepish smile.