CHAPTER TWELVE

DAY 05
BLACKWATER
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

MY FINGERS WERE stiff from the cold, and the task took longer than I had hoped, however it seemed to have the intended effect.

Slipping the blouse off my shoulders, I glanced up at the man across the fire only to find his eyes already on me. His golden eyes held a certain kind of intensity that reflected the bright hues of the fire between us.

"My clothes are wet." I said in explanation, slipping off the rest of my blouse to set it by the fire to dry. Now I sat in just a black camisole and my work slacks. Even though I wore less layers, I actually felt warmer without the wet fabric chilling my skin.

Flicking my eyes back up to the man across from me, I saw his eyes trail over my bare shoulders before he swallowed. Hard.

"Why are you helping me?" I asked standing up.

His eyes widened slightly as they followed me as I made my way around the fire to sit down beside him. My shoulder brushed against his as I sat down, and his eyes darkened.

I knew there was a lot he wasn't telling me, and though my methods were definitely not ethical, I was determined to learn more. No matter what it took.

"Why?" I asked again when he didn't answer, leaning forward to close some of the space between us.

"I don't want them to hurt you." He replied after a moment and I frowned.

"Why?"

The man's eyes fell down to my lips, and I remembered our first encounter. It was clear that he was affected by me in some way, and I was hoping I could use that to my advantage. With his eyes on my lips, he began to lean forward as his expression darkened.

Reaching up, I ran my hands up his chest as I wrapped my arms around his neck. A pained expression flittered across his features at my touch, yet he leaned in closer to me.

"Why were you down there, locked behind those doors?" I asked softly, repeating my question from earlier.

Ignoring my question, the man licked his lips, leaning in to kiss me. However, I leaned back just in time for his lips to only briefly brush mine.

"That's not how this works. You have to give me answers first." I shook my head, looking up at him.

The man sucked in a breath, tearing his eyes away from my lips to meet my gaze.

"Answers..." He breathed, searching my face and I nodded.

"Fine." The man said, rolling his jaw as he thought before he finally responded.

"I am his prisoner." He said quickly before quickly leaning down, pressing his lips hard against mine.

I shut my eyes as his lips moved against mine, welcoming the kiss since that was the deal after all. All the while, I thought about his answer.

Prisoner? What did he mean by that?

Why would Dr. Grant want him as a prisoner?

If he wasn't an employee, then what?

His mouth moved more fervently against mine, and I felt his hands come up to hold my face, bringing me closer to him. His breath was hot against my skin, making me shiver at the stark contrast to the cold cave.

Suddenly, he ripped my mouth from mine, and I let my arms fall from his neck as I caught my breath. His eyes were on me when I managed to steady myself, and look back up at him.

I opened my mouth to speak when suddenly he stood up, moving to the back of the cave. My brows knitted together in confusion as I watched him sift through the things he had piled in the corner. Eventually, he came over to me with a large cream colored blanket, holding it out for me to take.