CHAPTER SIXTEEN

*Trigger warning for this chapter*
Contains themes of sexual assault and violence that may be u comfortable for some readers. Read at your own discretion.

DAY 07
CANIS DEPARTMENT
BLACKWATER
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

SEEING SEVEN AWAKEN, an idea came to me. Albeit a risky one.

After the events of the other day, I had no idea which Seven would be waking. Considering that he was not chained, I felt unsettled slightly at the idea that at any minute he could turn again. However, with the steel bar around my neck, my chances of escaping would be zero.

Yet, it seemed I was left with little choice in the matter. At the moment, I only saw two options for me.

Option one; wait for Dr. Grant to return and cut me open before tossing my body in an acid drum. Or, option two; talk Seven into getting us both out of here. And hopefully alive.

Considering only one of these options have me the possibility of walking out breathing, I suppose I didn't really have a choice after all. With that thought, my mind was made. Dr. Grant would be returning soon and if I didn't want to be cut open, I had to try something, and soon.

"Seven!" I called across the room.

I watched as he frowned, his eyes slowly fluttering open. I let out a breath of relief when his eyelids revealed the golden hue of his irires rather than the blood red of the beast he had turned into. It was a positive sign that perhaps I would be talking to the Seven that I knew, not the monster Dr. Grant created. The Seven that had tried to warn me of this awful place and the fate that awaited me.

If only I had listened...

"Seven!" I called again when he awoke. His golden eyes were looking around the room, wearily examine his new surroundings before he heard my voice and paused.

At the sound of my voice, his eyes widened before he turned quickly to me. Even in his beaten-down state, his gaze widened in a mix of shock and awe as he searched my face, letting his eyes trail my body as if he couldn't believe it was actually me.

"Y-you're alive?" He croaked, his voice hoarse with either sleep or emotion. I couldn't tell.

However, hearing his voice put me at ease. It was Seven, the human Seven. This meant my plan couldn't work. That perhaps not all hope was gone.

"Not for long if we don't do something." I replied quickly, resting my hand on the metal bar that crossed my neck.

Yet Seven barely seemed to even hear me. He was still watching me, looking at me like I was a ghost. Like he was sure I had died.

"How is this possible? I...you..." Seven rambled, his face contorting into a frown as he lifted his shaky hands, running them down his face as he shook his head in disbelief.

"It can't be..." He muttered over and over again to himself.

"Seven, snap out of it!" I pleaded, watching how he began to spiral. It was a phenomenon I was unfortunately familiar with as a result of my PTSD, and after everything I had seen in the past few days along with what I knew Dr. Grant was capable of, I wouldn't be surprised if Seven also had.

I mean, how could he not?

Fortunately hearing my voice again seemed to ground him in a way. His head stopped shaking, yet he kept his face covered with his hands, refusing to look up as if I would vanish if he did. Like some kind of taunting hallucination.

"Seven, please you have to snap out of it. I'm alive, you didn't kill me. However, I won't be for long. Dr. Grant will be coming back soon, and he is going to kill me if I don't get out of here." I explained, watching as Seven slowly lifted his head.