chapter 4

⚠️ SOME WORDS MAY BE DISTURBING FOR SOME PEOPLE SO DONT READ THIS OR SKIP TO ANOTHER CHAPTER ⚠️

Will eyed him skeptically before turning away. Mike's brain flashed back to Mr. Clarke's sex unit back in 6th grade. How he'd made the girls wait out in the hall while he explained in overly-technical terms (that probably only Mike and his friends could understand) how blood rushed to the penis and made it erect to prepare for mating. Mike knew that meant for a boy to have sex with a girl, to get her pregnant and keep the population going. So what the hell was wrong with his penis that it was reacting so feverishly to a boy?! He couldn't get Will pregnant! It was wrong. Everything was all wrong. Mike's brain knew that through and through, reminded him of it constantly, especially after he came thinking about everything he tries so hard not to think about. But for some life-ruining reason, his stupid messed-up dick did not get the message!

After Will won the match, even against two people, Dustin and Lucas muttered an unenthused "good game" before announcing that they had to bike home, not wanting to worry their moms. They shut the basement door without Mike having to get up from his shameful spot, at least.

"S-sorry," Will said sheepishly as he settled next to Mike on the couch. "I'll have to wait for my mom to pick me up. She still won't let me bike in the dark," He explained quietly, even though they were the only ones in the room.

"That's okay!" Mike rushed to insure. "I- I like spending time with you. Just us." Mike added, eyes flicking nervously between Will's.

Will's lips flicked up in a smile, Mike would know, because he happened to already be looking at them. But when his gaze returned to his eyes, he realized they didn't quite meet it.

"I like spending time with you too, Mike," Will answered softly, still looking kind of sad. Mike wanted to run his fingers through his hair, put his head to his chest so he could hear how his heart only beat for him.

"What's with the pillow?" Will snorted, gesturing, "Are you cold or something?"

Mike could tell he was trying to break the tension, but how the hell was he supposed to answer that? Friends don't lie, and his basement was sweltering thanks to the insufferable Indiana heat. Will himself was still sweating!

He cleared his throat nervously. "U-uh. Something like that," Mike choked out, feeling his cheeks heat up.

Will looked confused, and then his eyes widened in understanding, and his face became even more flushed than it was from all the volley ball.

"I-is that why you stopped playing?" Will asked quietly, and Mike watched greedily as he swallowed.

"Y-yeah... Sorry. Blame puberty," Mike tried to play it off with a stilted chuckle, but Will was staring intensely at the pillow in his lap, like he was trying to disintegrate it with his mind.

"W-what... what were you thinking about when it happened?" Will asked breathily, unknowingly making Mike's erection quaver.

Mike swallowed nervously. How would Lucas answer? Should he say El, or is that creepy? Should he say... Phoebe Cates? He was starting to panic a little.

"U-uhhh," He stalled astutely.

Will looked at him questioningly. "What?" He pressed, confused. "Was it El?"

Mike's mind unhelpfully provided the look of hurt on Will's face last night, and before he could think about it, he was shaking his head no.

"I-I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Will," His voice cracked embarrassingly as his eyes welled up. Will still looked confused until Mike continued, "What I said last night. I didn't- It wasn't you. I think," Mike swallowed harshly. "I think I said that because I know that I don't like girls the way I'm supposed to. B-because of you," He admitted faintly.

Will stared at him in shock, mouth hanging open.