Chapter 3

The following day went as usual. Dream slugged to both his daytime jobs and George went job-searching again, trying a new neighbourhood this time. It went better that day; two small businesses accepted his CV, with one promising he would be contacted if a position came up.

In the gap between Dream's bar and cleaner shift, George came home with a takeaway in hand. They ate, talked and collapsed on the sofa, repeating the same steps which had become boring to me.

When Dream drifted to sleep, George went to bed as usual. Although, that night he forgot to coat his friend in a blanket or mute the TV. I was pleased. When Dream's alarm sounded and he made his way out of the door, I planned to stay in the flat, the screen providing me with enough entertainment.

Just as I thought this, George's door was suddenly thrown open and he emerged, dressed in a coat and shoes rather than the pyjamas I'd anticipated. I checked the clock, thrown off guard by his sudden appearance. But sure enough, it was the dead of night and he should have been asleep.

He stormed through the living room and locked the front door behind him. I instantly got up and followed, the television suddenly appearing very dull.

He skipped down the stairs and locked his eyes on Dream, wandering to the offices.

George trailed behind, unknown to Dream, and I trailed behind George, unknown to the both of them. He kept a good distance to maintain his secretiveness and was far enough behind so that when Dream turned, it was unlikely he caught sight of the other in the shadows.

When we arrived at the offices, George held back whilst Dream let himself in with his keys. The click of the lock was heard once he was inside, stranding George and I in the silent street.

I watched curiously as George sneaked over near the door and read a sheet of paper enclosed in glass, giving details of the company. He shook his head in confusement and creeped around the premises, where fences and attached buildings prevented his trespassing.

He attempted to hook his fingers under latched windows and find any loose bricks which could hitch him over the fence. When all options failed, he simply walked to the front door and knocked firmly.

I sat amused at the sidelines when Dream appeared. Fear transitioned to shock and finally to guilt across his face. George stood firmly, a hand resting patiently at his hip. He nodded his head towards the door lock.

Dream took a second to process the implication, then hurriedly shoved his key into the door, a jangle being heard as the keys hit the glass, a tremor present in his fingers.

"What are you -" Dream began as soon as the door opened.

"Don't even think about asking me questions," George interrupted, storming into the building. I followed, feeling a rush of heat welcome me away from the cold outside.

He spun around when he reached the reception desk knotting his arms across his chest. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Dream stood frozen by the door, unmoving and looking as if he wanted the shadows to swallow him whole. He'd been caught, completely unexpectedly, and was forced to quickly spur up an action plan.

He brought his arm forward, revealing a disinfecting spray bottle.

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

George scoffed as he glanced down at the bottle.

"Don't talk to me like that, Dream. I knew something was up. Are you... are you cleaning here?" He squinted, so very confused.

Dream stepped forward, light flooding his face as he vacated the unlit entrance, revealing the tired features which had given him away the previous night. He slowly nodded after a beat, with no reason to hide it now.