Abaddon Part 10

Charles,

I am sorry. I did not want to leave without speaking to you. I didn't want to leave at all, but we both know that it had to happen.

If I'm being honest, I don't welcome my fate. I have never felt it fair that my life and my death had been laid out for me before I was ever born. You would never say this, but I know that you never thought it fair either.

I can only imagine what these years must have been for you. To meet a young girl, to train her, to take her into your home and do all you could to protect her only to know that you would one day fail. I am sure that you have never considered your life after me, but I have thought of it many times.

I hope that you will get to visit America. I hope that you drink plenty of tea and read your many old books. Most of all, I hope that you find peace. You deserve that more than anyone.

I have known since I was young that I would not have a long life, but thanks to you, I have had a good one. I can never thank you enough for all that you have done for me. I know that there have been greater Slayers than me, but I cannot imagine that a better Watcher than you has ever lived, Charles.

I did not choose my fate, and it is not fair that it was thrust upon me, but it is my own and I will not thrust it upon you, too. I was born chosen to die in battle. You were not.

Charles, I do ask only one thing of you. Please see that they remember me. I worked so hard and I hope that at least one of the Slayers to come will learn my name.

Goodbye, Charles.

And thank you.

For everything.

Agatha