18. The Past and the Present

James

James took care of Aidan and found an inn to stay for the rest of the night. It was hard to think they had not seen each other in more than fifty years. There was even an ease now between them that had never existed in the past.

Thinking about what he had witnessed and turning the scene in his head over and over on their way to the inn, James started to understand Aidan better. He didn't know who Stanislas was for him, but the sight of the crushing power he had on Aidan had been hard to bear. It had shed a revealing light on Aidan's behavior and insecurities.

When the older vampire calmed down enough to speak, he talked about his sire. In the intimacy of the small room, he explained to James what his life had been since he had been turned. He didn't tell everything but he told enough, looking James in the eyes as if a wall had been broken between them.

Listening to him, James thought about Isabella and about how lucky he was not to have been turned by a vampire like Stanislas. He had known kindness, love, acceptance, and a feeling of safety that Aidan had never experienced. James' heart winced at the thought of the years of torment Aidan had endured.

The older vampire must have read this feeling on James' face because he sighed and whispered: "Please, don't pity me."

"I don't, actually. I was just thinking... you are... I mean, when I saw you for the first time, I thought you seemed hurt but strong, you know. I just didn't know how much."

"I am not," Aidan said, fresh tears forming at the corner of his eyes.

James shook his head. "You are. Because you're a decent man, despite everything you've been through."

"I would not say that." Aidan wiped the tears from his face. He looked around before his gaze went back to James. "Your sire? It was not... the same, right?"

James' heart sank. "Not at all. Isabella, she was kind. I loved her and she loved me."

Aidan paused for a minute. "It was her house, wasn't it?" And carefully: "You lost her?"

James' expression betrayed his still painful sorrow. "It was. She died protecting me."

"I'm sorry," Aidan offered.

They didn't say much more. James was glad Aidan hadn't asked about Willem. He was not proud of his decision to follow him. But at least, it had led them to find each other again. And James didn't ask about Rhys. He imagined it was another painful subject and he didn't want Aidan to feel uncomfortable. Moreover, he didn't really want to know. The truth was he didn't care.

He realized how his feelings towards Aidan had changed since he had left half a century ago. He felt a peaceful connection, not that desperate longing he had succumbed to.

"You're smiling?" Aidan asked gently.

"I am glad you are here."

Aidan's red-rimmed eyes widened a little, he opened his mouth but said nothing, and he finally smiled back.

"So am I."