21. The Thirst

James

They decided they would try to stop together. It was probably foolish to go through whatever they would have to go through, to be that vulnerable, at the same time, but James could not imagine looking at Aidan with the afterglow of hunting on his own face while his friend would suffer trying to avoid human blood.

So the following night, they didn't wander the streets looking for a prey and instead sat in James' house and drank animal blood. They did that again the night after and waited anxiously.

"Are you alright?" James asked.

"I'm... thirsty. But for now, I'm fine. You?"

"Same. But we should not stay like that. We should occupy our minds. Do you want to read?"

James knew it would be hard but he didn't really think about his own pain. He was worried for Aidan. The older vampire had never lived on anything other than human blood. It would be far more difficult for him. James could feel it in his bones. It was going to be ugly. And he would have done anything to prevent Aidan from suffering.

He chose a book in his library and started to read it aloud for him and Aidan. Then they fell asleep on two sofas on either side of the room, exhausted by the anxiety and the waiting.

When James woke up, the thirst had amplified dramatically. Aidan was still sleeping and he let him. He drank some animal blood, but the sensation almost disgusted him at the moment. He knew it would not be the case any longer once he would get used to it again. Nevertheless, it was hard to bear. It did nothing to his thirst and his nervosity grew stronger.

He heard Aidan move in the living room. He came back to check on him and saw his friend pale and tense as if he were going to be sick.

He crouched in front of him. "You're shaking," he said, folding Aidan's hand in his.

"You too," Aidan whispered with difficulty.

James looked instinctively at his other hand and saw the faint tremor he hadn't even realized was there.

"We can do it. It's going to be alright," he said to Aidan, trying to look as confident as he could, while the fear was creeping into his mind and his gut.

James sat on the couch and Aidan put an arm around his waist and pulled him towards him. James leaned his head on Aidan's shoulder and listened to his heart beating so much faster than he had ever had. He felt his trembling body against him. But Aidan held him tight and comforted him.

"Yes," Aidan said. "It's going to be alright. Don't worry about me."

In the following hours and days, the tension turned into pain and the shivering into muffled screams. Every inch of James' body ached and all he could think about was the warm bodies of people walking in the streets or sitting quietly in their homes. He wanted so badly to leave the house and go after them, but a glimpse at Aidan's face was enough to give him the strength to stay.

Aidan was doing everything he could to hide the extent of his pain, to be there for James. And while they were not in a state where they could talk anymore, his eyes said everything.

James could not abandon him. He could not fail him. He had promised he would be there for him. And he would succeed to be able to help Aidan. So he fought the thirst with everything he had, with every fiber of his being.

During phases of delirium, he thought he could see Isabella, smiling at him, running a hand in his hair with a tender gaze. And that also gave him strength.

He had no idea how much time had passed but finally, the tension lifted slightly and he fell asleep.