23. New Colors

James

Aidan did not paint a portrait of James, to his great disappointment. At first, he explored colors and shapes, before objects of his house and views of their surroundings in London. James loved to watch Aidan paint but he also knew when he needed some space to process whatever he was feeling.

Because, even if he didn't want to talk about it, the older vampire was still struggling with his thirst. It had become latent, but it was there, potentially triggered at any given moment. It was not the same for James, not any longer, and he didn't know how to help him.

Aidan's anguish was turning rapidly into a deep melancholy. The only moments when James could see a stronger light in Aidan's eyes were when he was painting. But it was not always enough.

That was why he was surprised when he saw Aidan enter his living room one evening with renewed energy and a determined stride. James, cautious, looked at Aidan, waiting to know what it was about.

"Let's leave London," Aidan said.

James frowned quizzically. Not that he had never thought about it. He had every day. But he had concerns because of Aidan's state of mind.

"Let's go to the continent," Aidan continued. "Maybe Paris, or Rome. I need to see other horizons, new colors."

James hesitated. "I would love to. But..."

Aidan took a step closer to James, hope and anxiety in his eyes. "You don't understand. I need to breathe. I feel... I don't know, constricted in this town. I feel I'm waiting for something that will never come. I have to stop waiting. There is so much more to see. I know it. I need it, James. Would you come with me?"

James put his hand on Aidan's arm. He could sense how tensed he was, how on edge. Making this confession had taken all the energy he had.

"Of course," James said. "I want it too. I'm just... worried about you."

"You know it's manageable now. But I don't even know if..." James caught a glimpse of shame in Aidan's eyes. "... if I can be completely free. And I reached a point where I cannot just pace this room, or even this city, indefinitely. I need more, James. I know you do too. Please, come with me."

"When I found you back, I was thinking of going to Genoa. I do want to see more of the world."

"Then let's go. I don't want you to feel stuck because of me."

"You know it's not like that."

"But it would be great for both of us. This is what you want and I know it is what I need. It will help me. You gave me this incredible gift, and I want to go everywhere and paint everything we'll see."

James searched Aidan's eyes in silence for a minute. Maybe it was a good idea. Maybe they needed a change of scenery. And there was nothing more they could do here. Aidan may find a better balance far from this city where they had both suffered so much. And James could not deny he was suffocating as well.

"Alright."

A wave of relief crossed Aidan's face. "Genoa, then? And maybe Rome later?"

"Fine. Let's see what else the world has to offer."